What Should I Do With My 401K After Losing My Job?

I was recently let go from my job. My husband and I were planning to borrow from my 401k for our first home, now we can't. Can we rollover my 401k to his?

By Heath4111 from Hoboken, NJ

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By kathleen williams 76 1,662 01/21/2010

I suggest to talk to your banker or put it in a federal credit union, good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Deanj 917 01/22/2010

Why don't you ask a professional person such as a person from a mutual fund, a bank or a CPA that deals with IRA's? A well meaning person would like to help but gives you the wrong information it will cost you big dollars in taxes if you get it wrong. I don't think the proferssional folks would charge for a question or two or three.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By susan 8 1,368 01/24/2010

Check with an accountant. In my state, you cannot do any type of rollover if you are receiving unemployment, since you are still considered an employee of that company and they have the right to recall you. Once your unemployment benefits run out or you get another job, you can roll over the money to another IRA account that is under your name. You cannot roll money over to another person's account--it would be like taking the money out (you'll have to pay taxes on it), and then putting other money into that person's account. Besides, why would you do that? Down the road, if something happened and you split, that person would get your money!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Sandi 7 183 01/25/2010

If you have lost your job, can you afford to buy a house on one income? How stable is your husband's job? Think carefully before you take the jump to owing a home! Maybe you should wait? Best of luck to you and your hubby.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Cathy 1 01/29/2010

Depends on the amount, company, etc. You need to check with your HR dept that you left. If it is over a certain amount you can leave it alone, if it is with an outside company already ie Principal. Don't use it! You'll have to pay penalties and taxes that could use it all up anyway. It's hard not to be tempted but remember it's for retirement...not a short term investment. Best of luck!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the comments that were provided then.

Archive: What Should I Do With My 401K After Losing My Job?

Unfortunately I will be losing my job on Sept 14th. My company has a 401k plan that I have never contributed to, but they apparently have been putting money in it for me for the six years I have been here. What should I do with it?