Dachshund Losing Hair

I have a female dachshund that is loosing her hair in spots and it isn't ringworm or mange. She itches all the time and scratches all the time. Does any one have any ideas on what it could be? We give her bathes in dog shampoo and she's well taken care of. Spoiled rotten.

LeAnne from OK

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance
Best Answer

My cat lost some hair on his ear right after I adopted him. His ear felt hot and he itched it a lot. I took him to the vet for his adoption check up and found he had ear mites. I went to PetSmart and bought some Petrelief Anti-itch spray. It is supposed to heal "hot spots" and relieve itching and control the spread of lesions. It says to consult a vet if symptoms persist. This stuff was for cats but maybe they make it for dogs as well...Have you contacted your vet? Mine is very good about listening to the problem and giving me ideas on how I can help my cats or dog on my own (if it's not a serious thing.) Then if it persists, I can make an appointment. This has saved me a lot of money over the 20 years I've had my pets at their office (since I was ten!)

Best Answer

My cairn has the same problem- skin scrapings, thyroid test and blood work showed nothing. We think it is allergies. She is on an expensive high anti-allergan diet food from the vet. She has flare ups still, though not as bad. She now takes antibotics every weekend and is on 1/4 tab. of prednisone every other day, to help keep the inflammation down. We also have a gentle natural shampoo. Good luck, it is hard when there isn't much we can do to help them.

Thanks to all your posts, especially Stephanie (10/06/2008), I was able determine what was happening to my Mini Dachsund puppy. Upon hearing that it could be due to a potential allergy to corn, I reviewed the ingredients of the food she had been on from the breeder and it was loaded with corn!

I had already begun to wean her off of that food to have her on the same "Blue Buffalo" food that my 3 1/2 year old Mini Dachshund has been on for the past 2 1/2 years. With in a couple of weeks the skin peeling and hair loss had stopped. She now has a beautiful rich, silky coat! The hair on her head, face, tail and belly has begun to grow back in. Thank-you!

By Lynda from Long Island, NY

Answer

I have a female Dachshund that is losing her hair in spots and it isn't ringworm or

mange. She itches all the time and scratches all the time. Does any one have any ideas on

what it could be? We give her baths in dog shampoo and she's well taken care of.

Spoiled rotten.

LeAnne from OK

Dachshund Losing Hair

My pet began to do that too. My vet suggested a thyroid test. Sure enough that was it. A

pill once of month stopped his coat from being like a cat.
It requires two tests, once to see if it is thyroid, then one to see if the medicine is

correct dosage. This is just a suggestion. Thyroid problems can exhibit many symptoms.
Hair loss is one.
Good luck. (07/10/2005)

By Edie

Dachshund Losing Hair

If you have ruled out fleas, check with the vet to see if she has a skin infection. Good

luck! (07/11/2005)

By <a href="http://www.thriftyfun.com//profile/index.lasso?

profile=thr991183">MamaJude

Dachshund Losing Hair

My Bichon Frise was having the same problem. Her vet has diagnosed allergies, and she

takes allergy pills every day. I also have a spray that I use on the spots, and of

course we use a very gentle and non-drying dog shampoo. I have read articles on the

internet about food allergies and wonder if anyone has had any luck with the all natural

food diet for their pet? (07/11/2005)

By Peggy

Dachshund Losing Hair

I also agree with everyone who says it could be allergies. I forgot to mention that in

my previous post. There's lots of things that it could be, depending on where she's

losing her hair and any other symptoms. I think the best thing is to call the vet and

describe the situation. Maybe document the hair loss, is it growing back after it falls

out? If it's allergies it could be anything from the food she eats, the grass she plays

in, the weather, etc. My brother's cat loses his hair on his tummy all the time and then

it grows back. This has been happening since the cat was two and now he's fourteen. His

vet hasn't done a thing about it! Good luck and you might have to be persistent if

you've already been contacting your vet about it and not getting any results.

(07/12/2005)

profile=thr346218">washburn6394

Dachshund Losing Hair

My Cairn has the same problem- skin scrapings, thyroid test and blood work showed

nothing. We think it is allergies. She is on an expensive high anti-allergen diet food

from the vet. She has flare ups still, though not as bad. She now takes antibiotics every

weekend and is on 1/4 tab. of prednisone every other day, to help keep the inflammation

down. We also have a gentle natural shampoo. Good luck, it is hard when there isn't much

we can do to help them. (07/14/2005)

By Pat

Dachshund Losing Hair

I have had friends with furry pets who have given them Vitamin E capsules or even put it

directly on the scratchy spot. You might want to check with your vet first.
(07/17/2005)

By TonyaG

Dachshund Losing Hair

Try to change his food. I've been using Canidae Pet Food and had no problems with my

dogie. You can go on the internet and find out if they sell it around your area or order

it through the net (08/02/2005)

By RGI

Dachshund Losing Hair

The food allergy sounds very likely, but if by chance the loss is being caused by an

exterior source, you might try this. It was passed on to me by Whole Health Connection

in Picayune, MS. for a persistent dandruff condition. It works great for that and even

works well on athletes foot and minor infected cuts.

1. Take two full heads of garlic and place in a cheese cloth. Crush the heads so that

it is pulpy.

2. Place in glass jar and cover with extra virgin olive oil.
  3. Let this mix sit for 10 days in the refrigerator.
  4. After 10 days, remove the cheesecloth bag and squeeze the drippings back into the

olive oil in the jar. The oil in the jar is what you want.

5. Gently massage about 1 tablespoon into the affected areas and let it sit for 15 to

30 minutes. Wash out with a gentle shampoo.

6. The garlic kills bacteria and fungus and the olive oil will ease itchy skin and help

repair the skin.

Hope this helps. (03/14/2006)

By JimB

Dachshund Losing Hair

Ive had a black and tan Dachshund for 3 months now and he started losing hair also, he was 10

months when I got him and was just getting off of puppy food. I took him to the vet,

they checked for mange, nothing. They put him on steroid stuff for his itching

problem, but the hair he was losing down his spine and ears was a mystery. They made me

give him medicated baths twice a week. I started looking around and eventually got him

some lamb and rice diet meal. His hair is growing back, you may want to also try

something called Brewers Yeast. It is a one a day pill and it may help with his coat. I

started giving mine some about a month ago and it's helping. They taste good to the dog

and they are cheap. It's a thought. Good luck. (01/13/2007)

By Chris

Dachshund Losing Hair

Give them dog food with omega 6 and 3, and a lot of it not just traces of it. Dachshunds

have very dry skin and loose hair from it. My 2 are on castor pullox organix, but there

are cheaper versions out there. If not squeeze a small amount of a fish oil caplet into

their food once a day it is the same thing (06/19/2007)

By Mandy

Dachshund Losing Hair

Sometimes the ingredients in the shampoo itself can irritate the doxies skin, such as

tea tree and tree oils. I'd suggest maybe switching shampoo's and see if it makes a

difference, or go and pay your local vet a visit. (07/11/2007)

By Lisa

Dachshund Losing Hair

We recently took both our dachshunds to the vet with the same problem. They found fur

mites, which is treated with a prescription once a month. Good luck! (01/03/2008)

By Melissa from Utah

Dachshund Losing Hair

Dachshunds are known to have alapecia. This is stress related hair loss. They are very

sensitive beings don't forget. They also tend to get elephant skin where it gets thicker

and dark. It's all in the breed. (07/10/2008)

By dachshund servant

Dachshund Losing Hair

I know it's been a while since anyone has posted on here, but I have some info that may

help. I have a 2 year old mini short haired Dachshund who has had major hair loss. The

tips of his ears, entire chest, underside, groin and upper thighs were either balding or

entirely bald. We tried everything to get it to grow back. We found out that, yes this

is a common problem with doxies, but sometimes it is treatable. What worked for us

though was a food change. We stopped giving Griffin any table scraps, NO treats,

"nothing" with corn in it. We changed his food to Blue Buffalo which we buy at Petsmart.

It has no corn in it. Ever since the change he has started growing his hair back. Anyway

I would suggest trying a dog food that does not contain any corn in it. Make sure the

treats you give have no corn as well. A lot of dogs have corn allergies that cause

itching and hair loss and surprisingly it was something that our vet didn't even address

we figured it out on our own. (10/06/2008)

By Stephanie

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Dog Loosing Hair
Remedies for Hair Loss in Dogs
Pets Dogs HealthJuly 10, 2005
Losing Weight After Having a Baby, Woman in Red Coat Walking Her Baby Stroller in the Park
Losing Weight After Having a Baby
Dachshund and Schnauzer Mix
Dachshund and Schnauzer Mixed Breed Information and Photos
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 1, 2016 at 12:07:01 AM on 10.0.1.167 in 383 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.