Browsing: Dachshund Losing Hair

Dachshund Losing Hair

I have a female Dachshund that is losing her hair in spots and it isn't ringworm or mange. She itches all the time and scratches all the time. Does any one have any ideas on what it could be? We give her bathes in dog shampoo and she's well taken care of. Spoiled rotten.

LeAnne from OK

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance
Best Answer

My cat lost some hair on his ear right after I adopted him. His ear felt hot and he itched it a lot. I took him to the vet for his adoption check up and found he had ear mites. I went to PetSmart and bought some Petrelief Anti-itch spray. It is supposed to heal "hot spots" and relieve itching and control the spread of lesions. It says to consult a vet if symptoms persist. This stuff was for cats but maybe they make it for dogs as well...Have you contacted your vet? Mine is very good about listening to the problem and giving me ideas on how I can help my cats or dog on my own (if it's not a serious thing.) Then if it persists, I can make an appointment. This has saved me a lot of money over the 20 years I've had my pets at their office (since I was ten!)

Best Answer

My Cairn has the same problem- skin scrapings, thyroid test, and blood work showed nothing. We think it is allergies. She is on an expensive high anti-allergan diet food from the vet. She has flare ups still, though not as bad. She now takes antibotics every weekend and is on 1/4 tab. of prednisone every other day, to help keep the inflammation down. We also have a gentle natural shampoo. Good luck, it is hard when there isn't much we can do to help them.

Thanks to all your posts, especially Stephanie (10/06/2008), I was able determine what was happening to my Mini Dachsund puppy. Upon hearing that it could be due to a potential allergy to corn, I reviewed the ingredients of the food she had been on from the breeder and it was loaded with corn!

I had already begun to wean her off of that food to have her on the same "Blue Buffalo" food that my 3 1/2 year old Mini Dachshund has been on for the past 2 1/2 years. With in a couple of weeks the skin peeling and hair loss had stopped. She now has a beautiful rich, silky coat! The hair on her head, face, tail and belly has begun to grow back in. Thank-you!

By Lynda from Long Island, NY

Short haired dachshund getting his hair brushed
Dachshund Losing Hair
Pets Dogs HealthJuly 10, 2005
Losing Weight After Having a Baby, Woman in Red Coat Walking Her Baby Stroller in the Park
Losing Weight After Having a Baby
Dachshund and Schnauzer Mix
Dachshund and Schnauzer Mixed Breed Information and Photos
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 18, 2016 at 7:02:59 PM on 10.0.0.123 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.