Saving On Service Rates

Looking to lower fees for your carriers, like insurance companies, TV, phones, computer, etc.?

First, I bundled (calling one carrier such as AT&T to combine multiple services) which is a HUGE savings.

Second, you absolutely need to call each carrier every few months and follow up on rates. There appears to almost always be a NEW discount or promotions much cheaper than current fees. For example, on a recent call, Comcast discounted my box and monthly payments AND offered free HBO for 3 months. On another call, Direct TV lowered the monthly payments and gave me a free Showtime package. On another call, medical and car insurance were lowered. Total Savings for TV and insurance were $600 a year!

By cipi2000 from Miami, FL

Why not save a bunch of cash -- cancel your TV and begin reading quality stuff. My daughter posited that if the percentage of TV viewers (couch potatoes) and the percentage of newspaper readers could ever be reversed, good old US of A would be way more intelligent. Our gov't might even be able to do something effective!

Where I live the only high speed internet is provided by cable. Regular dial up was just awful. I could turn my computer on, dial up, go down stairs, make tea, feed the cats. And I still had time to spare. Also when the TV signal changed, I had no local news, even with the box it was spotty at best. With cable, I get numerous news channels, different points of view etc. With all that is happening in today's world, a newspaper does not do it. I would add that I try to read a book, or more a week. I do not have multi tiered service.

My one complaint is that the company I have does not explain all the costs up front. They forget to add sales tax. This is true of most of them. Get it in writing. Also be aware the bundle pkgs may only be for 1 year. (Something charter communications did not tell me.)

I too, have checked with the services for discounts, changes, etc. It pays to continually watch and read their notifications. As to reading vs TV/Internet, it is important to assess one's needs. I work with several elderly and the "window to the world" is TV and Internet. Unfortuanately, the costs of these services are more than they can afford. Shame on those providers! These people are cut off from any enjoyment and sit in dismal despair. I weep.

Saving Money on Utilities, Energy Savings Piggy Bank
Saving Money on Utilities
Budget & Finance Saving MoneyMarch 25, 2011
weighing postage
Finding Postage Rates Online
A child playing with a nanny.
Name Ideas for a Nanny Service
Canceling Cable and Phone Service
Advice on Canceling Cable and Phone Service
Cleaning Windows
Cleaning Lawn Service Chemicals from Windows