Food Sticking to T-Fal Cookware

Does anyone else have a problem with their T-Fal cookware sticking? It seemed like when I would wash my skillet in the dishwasher that it came out a different color and the food in it would stick. Are you not supposed to put T-Fal cookware in the dishwasher? I paid a lot of money (in my opinion) to get pots and pans that don't stick. Is there something I can do to make the skillet nonstick again? Help!

(btw, I hand wash it in the sink now)

luv2craft from Normalville, Pennsylvania

Hi luv2craft. If you have a sort of grey build up it could be residue from the dishwasher powder or maybe your powder is too harsh?. You could try re-seasoning the pans by heating some oil fairly hot and rubbing at them with kitchen paper, or there should have been some instructions on how to do this with the pans. If that works next time just clean them out after use with kitchen paper then a quick rinse with warm soapy water and dry well. Hope this helps, or that someone has a brighter idea!

Cooking spray to the rescue. I use it for EVERYTHING.

No non-stick cookware should probably be put in the dishwasher. The detergent is very harsh, so probably is best to wash by hand. I have T-Fal myself and love it. I got a big set very reasonable at Sam's Club...actually I chose it and my Mom bought it for me for Christmas. I couldn't tell you how long I've had it now....maybe going on 8 yrs or so. I have put mine in the dishwasher occasionally but mostly I just wash by hand since they clean up very easily. I also only use plastic or wooden utensils with it. After all these years, I only have a small amt of wear on the dutch oven which gets used a lot.

Wasn't there instructions with the cookware on how to clean it? I do believe it comes with a guarantee but if it said not to wash in the dishwasher then I don't know if you have a leg to stand on. You could write them or perhaps find a website for T-Fal and see what they say. You might get them to replace the frying pan.

Oh and nothing sticks in my T-Fal so I'll bet something has happened with repeated trips to the dishwasher. Dishwasher detergent is quite strong! When I used to have a cast iron sink with porcelain coating, I'd let the sink soak with auto dishwashing detergent and hot water, and man it would really get it spotless and shining.

I don't know if there's anything you can do to keep things from sticking in that skillet. That's a shame! Contact T-Fal to see if they'll stand behind it.

Hi lov2craft. You should not have to wash a nonestick pan in a dish washer. After use just wipe it with a paper towl then rinse under warm water and then dry. If anything does stick to it just let soak in hot soapy water. I dont know how long you have had your pan. What you want to do it try taking it back to the shop that you got it from and say that you would like a replacement or you money back. Best of look happy eating.

my t-fal pans said they were dishwasher safe....but that it would discolour it

If memory serves, T-Fal's instructions say it can be washed in the dishwasher, but, as someone else said, it will discolor it. It went on to say, to restore its non-stick qualities, to put a drop or two of oil on it, then rub it around with a paper towel, so it leaves a very thin coat that cannot be felt. In my opinion, that would seal any pores in the surface, which food might get caught in.

Hi luv2craft, another thing about T-Fal is that they are not to be used on high heat. This will make them stick.

"Addicton" brings up a good point, one I'd forgotten....you shouldn't use high heat with T-Fal. I have a friend who had a skillet get discolored....even looked like it had a circle in the middle which matched the electric coil of her electric stove. She admitted to me that she usually put the heat up real high when she first started to cook something to get things going. I am probably more of the low and slow kind of cook when it comes to my T-Fal but also I have a gas stove so I can control the heat much better. Luv2craft, let us know what has happened with your pan. Did you contact T-Fal?

Well I put oil in the pan and rubbed it around with paper towel and it seemed to help. This morning I made scrambled eggs in it and they didn't stick. I did spray it with non-stick cooking spray first so that might have helped.

I've had this set of pots for about 3 or 4 years so there's probably no warranty on them.

I am guilty of turning up the heat to get food started though (electric stove) that might have been one of the problems along with washing the skillet in the dishwasher.

Thank You everyone that gave me suggestions on how to solve my problem!

If you want to make your pan non-sticking, heat your pan first. This works for any pan, even an old frying pan I got from a garage sale.

Just heat the pan, not on high heat so the burner is red, medium-high, when the pan is hot add your oil or butter or whatever you use.

Add your meat, eggs or whatever you are cooking. Fried eggs will slide right out of the pan.

Give it a try.

I've always been taught to NEVER put ANYTHING non stick in the dishwasher because it ruins the non stick coating.

The coating on the inside of pans coming off. Does anyone know if this is harmful to still keep cooking and using pans?

I finally just gave up on my T-Fal skillet and trashed it. I went to good ol Wally World and replaced it for $5.00! Surprising to me. It's not quite as big as the other one was, like it's the next step down, but since I'm just cooking for me now. It's ok.

I had a set of T-Fal for about 10 years and I washed it in the dishwasher, they only problem I had with that is that the prongs in the dishwasher tended to make little nicks in the finish. Summer of 2009, I bought I set of Paula Deene cookware that was non-stick and it did say not to wash in the dishwasher and also to not use oils of sprays in it.

Non-Stick Frying Pan
Using Non-Stick Cookware
Food and Recipes Food Tips Cooking TipsApril 27, 2006
A chunk of stuck together ice cubes.
Keeping Ice Cubes from Sticking
A badly burned stainless steel pan
Cleaning Stainless Steel Cookware
Breakfast burnt and stuck to the bottom of a pan.
Cleaning Stuck Food Off Cookware
🎉
🎄