Saving Money on Major Purchases

When you're thinking about a major purchase make yourself a list and stick to it. It's too easy to be caught up in the moment and buy before you really think about something first. Don't let anyone push you by intimidation. If you are not 100% sure, you can always think on it and often will end up with a better deal.

By Nancy K. from Elmira

Great advice. I also find it helpful to tell the salesperson that you are looking for a certain price range and you need specific features. Don't be afraid to walk away or think about it for 24 hrs ("sleep on it") and be aware that installation, delivery and extended warranties.

I saved at the appliance store by asking to see scratch and dent items If the damage is minimal on the side thats to the wall no one knows but you. And never be afraid to use these words "Whats the best deal you can give me on this item?" And always be willing to comparison shop.

check the "open box" or clearance section first...and Walmart usually keeps their dented "open Box" stuff by customer service/layaway. It is like a thrift store, if you come back it may not be there!

Hi--We are recently starting on our backyard and will have several major (read "expensive") projects to do before we are finished--patio, landscape, fencing. On a whim, I checked on ebay for gift cards--in the search, I typed the name of the store (a large national chain) and "gift card". I have been able to purchase a total of $2500 in gift cards for about $2200 (including shipping). In addition, have been able to score several 10% off coupons and one precious 20% off for the same store from several online locations (including paying a very nominal cost on ebay). With these coupons, I will be able to save an additional $300 or so--and using the gift cards that I got at a discount, I will save between $500 and $600 on $2500 worth of purchases (i.e. cash out of my pocket will be $1900-2000.). It has not been any work to do this, the time more than paid for in the savings. This is worth doing if you know you will be making large-ticket purchases from a national store.

I remember a few major purchases that we made on the spur of the moment on things we had not intended to buy, that turned out to be fantastic deals. We couldn't have been luckier if we planned and had shopped for months. If we hadn't acted immediately, we would have lost out. One particular item, we used for two years, and someone offered us more than we originally paid.

My advice is to constantly keep your eyes open, and look at and price things that you may need down the road. You never know when you'll find one at a bargain-basement price, and need to know if it's a good deal or not.

Saving for a Large Purchase
Saving Money for Large Purchases
Budget & Finance ShoppingFebruary 15, 2006
Amazon Purchase Being Delivered
Saving Money on Amazon Purchases
PayPal logo
Using PayPal
Discount Grocery Store
Shopping at Discount Grocery Stores
Saving Money on Textbooks
Saving Money on Textbooks
🎄