What Color Should I Paint My Kitchen?

I recently purchased a new home with beautiful tones of brown sandstone countertops and rust red porcelain tiling. All of the cupboards are finished with a pinky beige color. They are referred to as cherry cabinets, but I see them as pinkish.

My question is what color would be best to paint the kitchen walls.The window and door trims are dark walnut. The color they are painted now is a light mauve and it is too pinky for me.

I'd like to contrast the pinky cupboard with maybe a brown color for the walls. I want a darker color, because the kitchen is so huge with 18 foot ceilings I'd like to make it appear smaller, cozier, and warmer.

By Drumcorps77 from Endicott,NY

Best Answer

Oh wow gorgeous kitchen. The color of the cabinets is amazing. I think a medium brown, possibly a mocha color, would look lovely. Brown goes perfect with pastels like pink, seafoam, and baby blue.

Best Answer

I would use a warm mushroom color (such as young colt, it is a Benjamin Moore color) It plays off the cabinets and it also works well with the stainless steel. Good luck!

Best Answer

I love the cabinets too. My neighbor has some in the same color. She painted hers a medium copper color. Pick up some samples and see what they look like. You will be surprised how well it works together because when you think about it, copper has some reddish/pink undertones. I think you could go for a darker color because of all the white in your room. Whatever you do, post a pic of your finished product. We would love to see!

Best Answer

Love your kitchen! I am going to rock the boat with my suggestion: I'd look at some samples of a medium sage green. It is a modern neutral these days and still warm enough to pull out the flooring and cabinet colors. And you know, you can buy small amounts of paint sample colors to try out too!

I also like the mocha/brown theme. Would it work to do one wall in a deeper shade of the color -- it's hard to tell from the picture, but that could help you highlight one area. Enjoy all that great space!

What about a lighter brown ( say coffee & cream ) walls and then accent it with darker brown like the vertical panels by the stools and the spot above the stove.

Hello, What a beautiful kitchen! I say you can't go wrong with a neutral color like browns, cremes. If were my kitchen, I would play off your tile floor; find a color within that "family" of colors, maybe a rusty brown? Good luck, mvb

To get away from 'pink' tones use warm tans/browns, such as 'Spiced Vinegar' one of Olympic Paint colors @ Lowe's stores. 'Applesauce Cake' is another good one. Match with tile from floor/counter, then look at color chips at home. The best way to see colors is in daylight (natural light). We used this color with dark mahogany stained woodwork and were amazed, by having less contrast or reflection from a lighter/paler color, the woodwork looked warmer,less dark. You can take as many chips and brochures as you want,even get 'pint' samples. Chips arranged by color spectrum, so look at browns in the yellow tones and stay away from red or blue tones which look pink or cool. People shy away from medium/dark colors thinking room will look smaller, they forget to consider the scale of the room, light sources, floors, cupboards, windows, etc. Doing 'your homework' and prep pays off!

Thanks to everyone for your help I appreciate all posts...I ended up painting the kitchen with Valspar LONE LOG and I am very happy with the results, the color is almost a perfect match to the cupboards and does make the kitchen appear more warm and defined. thanks everyone

I am posting a new pic.

Kitchen With Cherry Cabinets
Paint Color Advice for a Kitchen With Cherry Cabinets
Home and Garden Home Improvement KitchenOctober 1, 2009
Porcelain bathtub.
Removing Paint from a Porcelain Bathtub
Light Colored Carpet
Paint Color to Coordinate With Light Colored Carpet
Kitchen With Maple Cabinets
Paint Color Advice for Kitchen With Maple Cabinets
Kitchen Cabinet Paint Color Advice
Kitchen Cabinet Paint Color Advice
🎉
🎄