Diatomaceous Earth For Bed Bugs

I know this is a creepy subject, but bed bugs are becoming rampant. There is a very save chemical called diatamaceous earth you put under all the legs of every bed and couch in your house so they call in it and die. Also, wrap your beds in strong plastic wrap - the box springs as well. Dust your couches everywhere (including underneath and under the cushions). Diatomaceous earth will not hurt you or your pets. I hope this is helpful for some of you that are having the same problem we are having.

By Janet from Houston, TX

Great article. I know a lot of people need that. I cannot imagine having bed bugs but with recent reports it is scary.

Thanks for sharing this wonderful post.

Here is a great website on this product. I always research anything I have never heard about first.

Just a word of caution:

The absorbent qualities of diatomite can result in a significant drying of the hands if handled without gloves. The flux-calcined form contains a highly crystalline form of silica, resulting in sharp edges. The sharpness of this version of the material makes it dangerous to breathe and a dust mask is recommended when working with it.

The type of hazard posed by inhalation depends on the form of the silica. Crystalline silica poses a serious inhalation hazard because it can cause silicosis. Amorphous silica can cause dusty lungs, but does not carry the same degree of risk as crystalline silica. Natural or dried diatomite generally contains very low percentages of crystalline silica. Diatomite produced for pool filters is treated with high heat (calcining) and a fluxing agent (soda ash), causing the formerly amorphous silicon dioxide to assume its crystalline form.

The crystalline silica content of the dusts particulate is regulated in the United States by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), and there are guidelines for the maximum amounts allowable in the product and in the air near the breathing zone of workers.[14]

[edit] See also

Very important!

There are 2 types of DE. For use around pets you must use food grade not pool grade!

Food grade can be found at various online stores.

You can also apply to their fur for tick/flea control and in their food for health benefits.

I've read about this several times on TF. As soon as I can convince hubby, who does all our pet care, we'll definitely try this!

I have actually used Diatomaceous Earth for Bed Bugs. The bugs take about 4-5 days to die, and continue to bite you until they die. DE also does not kill eggs until the bugs hatch. DE combined with Murphy's Oil is your best bet. I'm now spraying Murphy's Oil Soap on my bedroom door joints everyday and on my bed legs and joints as well as sprinkle DE in the corners and along the wall. Put Murphy OS in a stray bottle with some water (the stronger the better) and stray joints of doors, base boards, door knobs, bed joints, base and joints of wooden furniture and bugs are dead on contact. NB.. MOS does not penetrate the shell of unhatched bed bugs so you have to be diligent and spray areas for 10+ consecutive days.

This worked for me so I hope you get the same results.

Sasha, Brooklyn, New York

Getting Rid of Bed Bugs, A bed bug on a blanket
Getting Rid of Bed Bugs
Home and Garden Pest Control BugsAugust 5, 2010
A dog sitting on the grass scratching at fleas.
Using Diatomaceous for Earth Fleas
Bed bug next to grains of rice.
Preventing Bed Bugs From Moving With You
A garden bed made from an old blue bed.
Make a Garden "Bed" Out of an Old Bed Frame
Removing Bugs from Your Car
Removing Bugs from Your Car