Dog Consuming Dog Urine

I was wondering if it is normal for my soon to be 2 year old male dog (Maxwell) to consume the urine from my new soon to be 7 month old female pup? I don't know about the rest of you, but I find this revolting... YUCK!

Lisa from Friedens, PA

You are going have to more specific. Is he just licking to wash the area? If so, this is normal.

All males dogs do it, especially if the female is in heat..male dogs are so NASTY!!!

Dogs will be dogs. Let them be themselves. I find it amazing that people can't cope with the basic stuff. Don't be such prudes.

Thank You for everyones feedback....I DO let my dogs be dogs....I am just trying to learn all I can because this is my first time raising a dog. As of this morning...I know that she is in heat, she is bleeding...I am sooo excited...As for being specific he is eating it outside and licking her as well....he will dig through the snow to get to it...then pee where she did..Again TY to EV1

I was going to ask if your dog was neutered or not, because his behavior is normal for an un-neutered male and a female in heat. Actually, most males (with the exception of humans I hope!) will lick urine of females in heat. I have observed this in horses, dogs, pigs, cats (and other animals on discovery channel ie. deer, lions, tigers, zebras). There is no way to stop this unless you neuter your male, and even then he might still do it. Hope this helps. No licking faces!! Gross!!

Is it possible for the dog urine to damage the paint of a car, and if so how much and what is the process can it happen in 1 2 days or does it take weeks months?

A female in season will attract males from miles around. You will probably have pups to deal with and a 7 month-old is young to have pups. If you are going to spay her do it soon. Female dogs remain healthier for life if they are spayed early.

I have a female dog if 13 years. I just found this afternoon that she was licking her urine up then licking herself!! What all is this and should I be worried?

My dog is a Shih Tzu that I rescued. She is approx. 2 years old. I found that she is "pad trained". Sometimes when she urinates a large amount, she will drink up the excess on the pad. Is this a bad habit from the past? Maybe not having enough water or is this a normal thing?

My 15 year old male licks his urine all the time, I think since he started dribbling urine with old age. My question is, could this be what is causing him to cough?

Pets Dogs Training AdviceDecember 13, 2005
A kitten sitting on a wood floor.
Cleaning Cat Urine Smell on Hardwood Floors
A dog and a cat sitting on a floor together.
Repairing Floors Damaged by Pet Urine
Dog Urinating Outdoors
Homemade Cleaner for Pet Urine Odors
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
🎄