Turn Sweatshirt into a Jacket

Make a jacket out of an old sweatshirt by cutting the front down the center from top to bottom. Trim the cut edge with ribbon or lace (you can hand sew it). This will look really special and it will get used more than you know - I know I do. These are fun and easy to make for children or adults, and are a great inexpensive homemade Christmas gift. You may even be able to get the sweatshirts at a thrift store, just wash before cutting.

By Virginia from Miramar Beach, FL

Turning a sweatshirt into a jacket is one of my favorite things to do since I bought one made by Hanes with a zipper up the front 15 years ago. (no hoodie) I buy plastic jacket zippers and they are easy to insert as you fold back the cut edge of the sweat shirt 1/4 of an inch and butt the edge up next to plastic zipper and stitch. The teeth of the zipper will be exposed allowing you to do a contrast zipper if you wish. If you have a little sewing knowledge it is easy to do. There are so many ways to decorate these days making these a simple useful present and easy to do. Be sure to measure the length of your sweatshirt before buying the zipper. Another idea when just sewing back the raw edge is to make toggle closures with a pretty fabric. Molly

Making a Jacket from a Sweatshirt
Crafts SewingDecember 1, 2010
Sweatshirt Logo
Removing a Logo From a Sweatshirt
Leather Jacket
Cleaning Body Oil Stains on Leather Jacket
Leather Jacket
Cleaning Stains on a Leather Jacket
Girl wearing a leather jacket.
Caring for a Leather Jacket