Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Cleaning Windows That Are Difficult to Reach

How do I clean a second story window on the outside? Thanks!

By Susan from NJ

By Louise B. [4]07/28/2010

I use a squeegee with an extendable handle to reach the windows on my upper level of my duplex. Now, this is not as high a full two story house, but one could stand on a step ladder or regular ladder and use this, and not be too high off the ground. It washes them very quickly and is quite streak free if you wipe the squeegee every couple of strokes. I use Mr. Clean or Dawn in a bucket of water to dip the sponge in, wash off the window, and then squeegee. Works great, just like on car windows. By far the easiest and fastest method I have used.

By neuroticmom [9]07/27/2010

The people using the Windex outdoor window cleaner that you use with your hose ~ do you have hard water? I tried the Windex outdoor cleaner that was on a pole (which didn't reach my second story windows even with an extension pole) and it streaked worse than when I washed them by hand.

By Litter Gitter [91]07/24/2010

Before replacing our windows, we had triple track storm windows over our regular windows. This is how I cleaned the windows that were too high to reach from the outside.

Take the storm windows and screens out. Standing on a step stool, pull the top half of the window down so you can get your hand and arm over the window and wash the top half of the top window and wipe clean.

Raise the bottom window up and pull the top window down to the bottom. Standing on the stool, reach over and clean the top half of the bottom window.

Working from the bottom of the window, use the same method for cleaning the bottom half of each section.

Clean the storm windows and put back in place.

It's a little awkward but it works.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Cleaning Windows That Are Difficult to Reach

I have 4 picture windows on the front of, and on the top story of my, 1 1/2 story, house, that do not open. I can not reach the bottom without an 8 ft. ladder and reaching the top is almost impossible. Is there an easy way to clean windows by spraying them with a hose? A home remedy would be most preferable if possible. Any suggestions?

Mary from Homer, AK

RE: Cleaning Windows That Are Difficult to Reach

I know you said home remedy, but I do know that Windex makes a deal that goes on the end of a hose. I use it to clean my second story windows and also the patio. I would think that once you use it, you could fill it with a dishwashing detergent/vinegar solution? I know it works pretty well, cuz I aint climbing a ladder to get to these windows. (05/21/2007)

By michawnpita

I use Windex Outdoor to do my windows. It comes in a bottle that goes on the end of your hose and sprays a long reaching stream. It works great, is easy, and no, the Windex doesn't harm my plants under the windows. It also sprays quite a ways up so should do your windows very nicely.

I haven't used mine up yet, but when I do I'm going to try different "homemade" window cleaners using the same bottle. (09/23/2009)

By Cricketnc

I moved into my first two story home and need help on how to clean the second story windows that do not come out or tilt in. I have been spoiled by always owning a ranch with tilt in windows and now I am at a loss.

What is the best streak free method someone might have? Any help is welcome because by the looks of it the previous owners didn't have a clue either.

By dwutz from Los Angeles, CA

Use a product called Windex Outdoor Window Cleaner. The container fits on the end of a garden hose. Simply spray your windows from ground level. Just follow the instructions on the container.

The windows will air dry streak free. No ladders to climb. (10/07/2009)

By a4a42316

I second the motion on the Windex Outdoor Window Cleaner. It worked very well on my Cape Cod style house's 15 windows and 3 doors. It also did a good job of cleaning the patio furniture before the winter put away. A product which lives up to its advertising claims is rare, but this one gets the job done. (10/07/2009)

By Omanana