Lessons From a Squirrel

In April, the rains came and came and wouldn't stop. Beginning May, everything is drenched in rain, including my hanging baskets. I started reworking the soil in my hanging baskets and planted nasturtium seed that I had soaked overnight.

Little did I know, we were about to get a drop in temperature and over 3 inches of rain over the weekend.

As the days went by, I had little hope for the hanging baskets with the nasturtium seeds. They forecast rain, yet again. I looked at my husband and shook my head, I really had little hope for my nasturtiums. My husband took the hanging baskets down and put them under a maple tree. The next morning, I noticed that one of the baskets had been dug in, most likely by one of the squirrels. I hung the baskets up anyway.

The next morning, I found the nasturtiums had sprouted in the hanging basket that the squirrel had dug in, but not the other two.

In these past few years, I have watched our squirrels off and on, digging into the soil, burying nuts for the winter, and drinking water, playing, etc.

I will watch for more "Lessons From The Squirrel."

By Carol from SouthBend, IN

growing snap dragons from seed
Growing Flowers from Seed
Home and Garden Gardening SeedsJune 1, 2011
Closeup of a woman playing keyboard
Saving Money on Music Lessons
Squirrel Feeder
Making a Squirrel Feeder
Woman Picking Vegetable from her  Garden
Lessons from the Garden
Depression Era Bank
Frugal Living Lessons from the Great Depression
🎄