Citrus Peels Keeping Kitties Out of Your Garden Area

When we had a garden (and there were lots of feral kitties around us in that neighborhood which was near a park), we just scattered fresh orange or lemon peels throughout the areas and that seemed to do the trick. Cats do not like the smell of citrus peels, which are harmless since the kitties don't bother them at all.

Please do not ever put things like Tabasco sauce or other harmful things anywhere that a helpless little animal might be blinded or made terribly sick by eating or coming into contact with it.

Source: A lifetime of gardening, dealing with animals and looking for ways to do both safely and enjoyably.

By Julia from Boca Raton, FL

"Please do not ever put things like Tabasco sauce or other harmful things anywhere that a helpless little animal might be blinded or made terribly sick by eating or coming into contact with it. "

Thank you Julia. If people could see the harm they do with these kinds of treatments, they wouldn't do them. It is a very inhumane thing to do, and hopefully, everyone in this group would not allow anyone to do it.

You will certainly get my vote.

ww

I agree with you all the way. Orange peels may work, but if you don't have them, there are products sold that will help with the problem without having to harm the cats. The poor cats are probably out there through no fault of their own. Blame people, not the cats.

HokeyPoke

Thank you for this tip. Our neighbor feeds 14 feral cats. (She is responsible and had them all fixed this year). While I love seeing these beautiful animals, I don't love it when they dig in my garden. This gives me an easy and eco-friendly option for this problem. Thank you for sharing you wisdom, Julia!

A cat sitting in a garden bed.
Keeping Cats Out of the Garden
Lemon Peel
Uses for Citrus Peels
Peeling a potato.
Uses for Potato Peels
Composting Citrus Peels
Composting Citrus Peels
Downward photo of an area rug in a lobby
Cleaning Area Rugs
🎄