Use a Balloon to Make an Easter Basket

Category Baskets
A pink balloon.
Using a balloon as the mold, you can make cute Easter baskets from string or yarn. This is a guide about use a balloon to make an Easter basket.

Years ago I made Easter baskets using crochet thread and sugar water. I have read the 'instructions' found on ThriftyFun, but cannot find the type/size of crochet thread to use. I have not been successful with a size 10 thread, but it is very tight. It will get stiff, but will not stick to the other threads, therefore you end up with a pile of stiff thread on the table when you pop the balloon. Help!

By Joyce from Oroville, CA

Answer Was this helpful? 2
Best Answer

You wrap it around Balloon Then cover several times in Sugar water. Or put it in a big bucket and soak it in Sugar water. Let Harden for several days until dry.

Best Answer

I used embroidery floss to make mine. Cotton twine also works. I believe I used watered down Elmer's glue instead of sugar water or starch. Mine were about the same size that you would fill a water balloon.

Sandy

My string Easter basket is completely dry, but I want it to stand up straight. Can I rub a little bit of water on the bottom to make it soft so that I could make a dent in the bottom or will this mess up my basket. I made 7 for the girls in my granddaughter's class. I worked really hard and they turned out perfect, but I don't want to ruin them. lol

Answers

Did you use a sugar water mix to make them go hard? I'd think you could try your method, yes.

You could try on one basket first and see if it works... worse case scenario if it does not go as planned- you only need to redo 1 basket.

From apartment therapy.com:

Once the top is dry, the bottom will still be a little soft. Pierce it with a straight pin, and set it down to flatten and create a level base. You want to egg to stand upright on its own.

No I didn't I used Elmer's glue but I did rub a little water on the bottom to get it soft and it did work.

I did it and IT WORKED..YAY

It WORKED..YAY

it sounds like you solved your problem. What a nice loving thought and a lot of work. I know your granddaughter will be beaming with pride and love over these.

it appears you have got it now, bit if it were to get too soft just use more glue

Anonymous

If you haven't solved the problem yet, you could take a mason jar ring and wrap in coordinating ribbon and glue to the bottom for stability.

A fun Easter "egg basket" is made by winding crochet thread around a balloon that is not completely blown up (a balloon is in a "egg" shape when not completely blown up). Wrap the thread around the balloon heavy in what you perceive as the back and not as heavy in what will eventually be your front. Wrap the end of the balloon with string. Take white glue or a very heavy starch and put this all over the "egg basket". I used to hang my "egg baskets" from the shower rod in the bathroom to dry.

When the glue is completely dry, cut an oval opening in the front with your scissors. You pop the balloon and remove it before you try to fill your "egg basket". You can glue lace or whatever you want around the outside of the oval. Fill the "egg basket" with plastic grass. Then put in candy and anything else you'd like to have in the egg.

I did these "egg baskets" when my kids were small (my oldest is now 43) and my children loved them. If you make a big "egg basket", you can even put a stuffed toy inside with the candy. I'm sorry, but I don't have any pictures of these "egg baskets".

By Bobbie from Mesa, AZ

Answers:

Use a Balloon to Make an Easter Basket

I have a lot of these I also did when my kids were small. They had to be stored carefully due to humidity destroying the structure. Our recipe was sugar to glue it, not starch or glue. And the more layers you dipped, the prettier the sugar pattern got. Then when dry and after carefully cut the opening, I used clear acrylic spray paint. Maybe a half can per large (gal size) egg. I did lots of small ones too, used ribbons, buttons, laces. I did Easter scenes inside them, you can turn them any way you want. To back it up a bit, before spray painting for extra stiffness, grab the egg, look at it (cut already in) and press down to make it stand on it own. It makes a dent in the bottom.

The sugar syrup was 2 cups sugar to 1 cup warm water, dissolved. Pour over when slightly warm so balloon does not expand to the heated mixture. They are beautiful. Mine must be 25 years old. I sold lots of these. (04/13/2009)

By T and T Grandma

Does anyone know who sells the Easter baskets that are made with balloons, different color yarn, and sugar water? I would order some if not too much. Please let me know. Thanks.

By Donita