Troubleshooting Electrical Circuit Problems

We discovered the power was out on one side of our house and that the two over head lights did not work. My husband tried to replace the circuits that he thought belonged to that area and there is still no power. He said the circuits were not tripped.

I am wondering if we should check our outlets to see if one is damaged. If they are piggybacked I was told that could trip one to cause a short and turn off the power. We do have a GCI circuit in our breaker box, but no outlets with the trips. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

By Terrie G. from Dunfermline, Fife

Answers

I live in Angus! I'm answering your post from the US, where I'm visiting my son. What a small and lovely world it is:)

You really should have a licensed electrician in to sort this. It sounds as though you have a broken, worn, or possibly chewed wire somewhere that has shorted everything between that half of the house and the mains.

A homeowner trying to fix this is looking at actually spending more trying to solve the problem than having an electrician in would cost, and as a shorted wire could be a serious fire hazard, I don't think you have much time to spend trying to fix it yourselves.

Good luck! I'll be thinking of you, please update this when you have the problem solved!