Troubleshooting Electrical Circuit Problems

We discovered the power was out on one side of our house and that the two over head lights did not work. My husband tried to replace the circuits that he thought belonged to that area and there is still no power. He said the circuits were not tripped.

I am wondering if we should check our outlets to see if one is damaged. If they are piggybacked I was told that could trip one to cause a short and turn off the power. We do have a GCI circuit in our breaker box, but no outlets with the trips. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

By Terrie G. from Dunfermline, Fife

I live in Angus! I'm answering your post from the US, where I'm visiting my son. What a small and lovely world it is:)

You really should have a licensed electrician in to sort this. It sounds as though you have a broken, worn, or possibly chewed wire somewhere that has shorted everything between that half of the house and the mains.

A homeowner trying to fix this is looking at actually spending more trying to solve the problem than having an electrician in would cost, and as a shorted wire could be a serious fire hazard, I don't think you have much time to spend trying to fix it yourselves.

Good luck! I'll be thinking of you, please update this when you have the problem solved!

September 26, 2012 Flag

Part of our rented kitchen lost its power, but did not trip breaker. We got up in the middle of the night and turned on the hall light. No light. We went to the kitchen and the fridge and microwave were off, but everything was fine in the rest of the apartment. The breaker was not tripped. The breaker for hall way also said bathrooms. The bathroom was on and the fridge and micro are suppose to be on another breaker. What is going on in the newly constructed building? It has 48 units. I am getting nervous. Please help.

By Ethel

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I don't blame you, I would be scared too. Apartment fires are all too common these days, and are often due to faulty wiring especially in a new construction.

It does sound as though the wiring is faulty in your unit, if not the entire building. Contact building management-be sure to document the time, date, to whom you spoke, and what that person said.

More importantly, if management isn't on it within 24 hours LEAVE the complex, again documenting everything. You could be in danger of fire.

With documentation you may be able to recoup costs associated with having to leave.

February 16, 2012 Flag

A few years ago, for no known reason, all the outlets in a downstairs room stopped working, but one on a different wall. No breakers were flipped. I assumed that the one was on a different circuit. FYI, the outlets are not GFI. The problem was not addressed, I just stopped using the outlets that didn't work.

Recently the same thing happened to a few outlets in an upstairs room. Then a couple weeks later all the outlets downstairs that didn't worked suddenly did and the one that did work now doesn't. Also, at the same time the outlets that didn't work upstairs now do and the couple that did work now don't along with a kitchen light on the ceiling and the hall light on the ceiling, both upstairs.

Remember, no breakers where flipped at any of these issues and no work was done on any of the outlets flip flopping around. Can anything explain this event? Please help.

By Vinny L.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You need a licensed and insured electrician in to look over your house wiring, and you need to do it now. It sounds as though you have lost connections all over your house between the outlets and the breaker-which is why none flipped.

Depending on the age of your home, your troubles could be anything from faulty and/or counterfeit wiring when the house was built (a lot of building materials coming in from China, Mexico, and India have been found to be counterfeit or badly constructed including wiring, circuit breakers, and boxes which were then stamped with a fake UL), worn wires, rodents chewing, or pest infestation in the wall.

Only a licensed professional can tell you what is wrong and how to resolve the issue BEFORE your house burns down.

Multimeter
Home and Garden Repair Home ElectricalMay 10, 2011
Woman Troubleshooting Wiring Problem
Troubleshooting Wiring Problems
Newly installed garage door opener.
New Garage Door Opener Trips Breaker
An electric stove turned on.
Power Only Works When Stove is On
breaker box
Pool Keeps Tripping Circuit Breaker
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 18, 2017 at 7:10:39 AM on 10.0.2.128 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.