My Frugal Life: Saving On Groceries

I have been a very frugal person most of my adult life. I shop at the Dollar Tree, Grocery Outlet and the 99 cent Store. I buy produce and make the best garden salads from the 99 cent store. I use the Dole spring mix, Roma tomatoes, mushroom, cucumbers and shredded carrots; beautiful garden salad!

For spaghetti I use four cans of traditional spaghetti sauce from the Dollar Tree. I use green bell peppers, red bell peppers, garlic and onion and one cup of sweet red wine that I purchase from Grocery outlet. It turns out awesome. To top it off, I purchase four loaves of garlic bread from the Dollar Tree.

I have prepared so many wonderful dishes from the above stores. It's amazing and my guest are always pleased.

By Anastasia from Berkeley, California

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here: http://www.thriftyfun.com/post_myfrugallife.ldml

I noticed you live in California, it has to be hard living in the most expnsive cost of living state in USA. I also shop at the dollar stores in MO. I have never found one that sells, vegatables and fruit. I first shop at my regular grocery store with my coupons and buy the items I need that are on sale. Afterwards I go to the local Aldi store. It takes time but worth it. Bye the way have you noticed groceries keep going up in price each week. If I find paper products on sale for a good price I stock up. Anne

I so miss Grocery Outlet. In East Tennessee we have Big Lots with maybe 4 single aisles of groceries, no fresh, no frozen, no dairy, no wine. Big Lots has some good surprises but I do miss Grocery Outlet in Berkeley.

When cooking things with hamburger I make up 1 cup of beef flavored TVP (1 cup tvp 2 cups hot water) and mix in with hamburger and my family never knows the difference.