Recycled CraftsCrafts

Crafts Using Film Reels

I have a large box of empty 16mm reels. DH wants me to recycle them for scrap metal, but I'm wondering how to make them into a craft. Maybe a flower? They range in size from 10-15 inches in diameter. Any suggestions?

By cjean from Sidney, OH

If it were me I'd spray paint them and just hang them on the wall as is. They are very cool and interesting shapes!

I think these reels would make awesome wheels for something. Could make an old fashion painting and add the wheels for like a bike or a wagon.

Or make a free standing bike or wagon and use the reels as wheels. How cute would that be! Maybe add flowers to the top and make them into plant holders in your home. I would love to see pic's of what ever you decide to make with them.

Put ribbon, cord, crochet thread or lace in them and wind them around. Then, get a dowel and keep them up above your craft table.

Lah34a had a great idea, too. Decoupage old movie scrap booking paper to them, make them into frames for old movie legends, dust with star glitter, hang up on the wall and loop them together with old reel. Make fake reel if you can't find the "reel deal" with black sheet plastic. When you decide what you are going to do, send us a shot?

Why not use them as the top part of mobiles? You could hang an assortment of sea shells or make wind chimes as well.

What about clocks?

On one of the DIY or HGTV episodes, they had decorated a teen's bedroom. On the wall above his bed, they had put several old "found" bicycle gears. They had spray-painted these gears in colors that would allow them to "stand-out" and be noticed.

It was such a cool idea to me. The gears were different sizes and made such a nice arrangement on the wall. I can't help but think that these movie reels could be done the same way. There are probably movie reels to be found at Flea markets, or yard sales too. They can't cost too much, and what a great way to decorate a wall.

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I'm working on an idea to put them on the wall in a frame & will do some mobiles as well. Clocks, frames, I may try it all! i DO have access to LOTS of the actual film too, and so may work some of that in if i can keep it out of DH's trash can! I may be out of work soon, so will have more time to play with this, will post pics when I can. Guess what all my relatives are getting for Christmas this year? :D