Homemade Fly Traps

What are the best ingredients to add to a fly trap around the horse barn? I have been using a smelly bait and I would like to try something made with natural ingredients.

By Cindi from Ocala, FL

Smack a dozen or so flies and put their carsasses in the bottle that's half full of water. Every time I dumped mine I didn't dump it completely always leaving some dead flies in there. If you make your barn dark by covering windows (green garbage bags work) and hanging a floor length canvas or old set of drapes in the doorway few flies will enter and the animals will get a reprieve.

Hi Cindi.

Ever hear of that old saying "you can attract more flies with honey than vinegar"? I'd try taking "takelababy's" suggestion of water in a large mouth bottle or larger container and add some honey to the mix.

I don't have horses, wish I did :) but if the flies get thick and take up permanent residence in the house and/or garage, I will take used jar lids, drop in a tablespoon or so of honey in each, and place discretely in different areas. (No one wants to actually see this as it's truly disgusting how many you will catch!) Good luck!

Stinky bait or not, I hang the traps where there is plenty of light, in other words, outside, not in the barn. The flies around a barn bite the animals yet seem drawn to the smell of milk souring along with a little raw meat. Those are natural products. Even fly carcasses rotting in water will attract other flies.

Close up of housefly on white background
Homemade Fly Traps
Home and Garden Pest Control FliesMarch 27, 2011
grey rat
Homemade Rat Bait Ideas
Roach Trap
Making a Homemade Roach Trap
Wasp inside a plastic cup.
Homemade Wasp Traps
Fly paper strips hanging by clothes pins.
Making Fly Paper