Browsing: Cooking Ahead to Save Time

Preparing a Salad Ahead of Time

Every day my husband and I have a homemade vegetable salad. Most of the time I serve it for dinner but once in a while, depending on what's going on we have it for lunch. To save time I have most of it prepared ahead of time. Here is what I do.

After tidying up the kitchen after breakfast I take all of my greens, romaine lettuce, iceberg lettuce, spinach, shredded cabbage, etc. and break it into pieces and place it in my salad spinner. After washing it well I spin it until it is dry. I then refrigerate it in a large bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap.

Then when it is time to serve it all I have to do is add tomatoes, cucumbers, olives, etc. and of course, homemade salad dressing. If I didn't do this in the morning I may not have time to do it later. Happy salad eating.

By joesgirl

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

Hi, where'd you purchase your salad spinner at? I've seen them in the Tupperware books for $32.00!! Yikes!! Too much for me! I'm sure there are cheaper ones sold somewhere, but where? Thanks!

Walmart, babe. ?eBay?

I do this for the week, for dinner and lunch salads for two. I put the greens in a zip-lok bag for storage.

You're really right, this is a great time-saver.

I use my salad spinner and love it. I got mine at

a resale shop. I've seen them at Goodwill and several thrift stores near home.

If you put the salad greens in a plastic bag, add a paper napkin to absorb any excess liquid.

Cooking Ahead to Save Time
Cooking Ahead to Save Time
Food and Recipes Food Tips VegetablesAugust 25, 2004
Chef Salad
Chef Salad Recipes
Scoop of brown rice. Freezing brown rice.
Freezing Brown Rice
Sandwich with a packed lunch.
Keeping Sandwiches From Getting Soggy
Wood Salad Bowl
Caring For Wood Salad Bowls
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 24, 2016 at 9:29:46 AM on 10.0.1.242 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.