Small Business Ideas That Save Money

If you have a computer and printer, you can save quite a bit of money on office supplies. For instance, if you buy blank labels at an office supply or discount department store, you can make your own return address labels. Also look for them at dollar stores and yard sales, especially estate sales. Download the printing templates from a website found on the package. Print out and keep them with your address book so you will always know where they can be found. Ditto for stamps. (No, don't print your own, just keep them in your address book!) Knowing where you put things is important to save money and time.

Because I have a home-based craft business, I also print out my own business cards. Rather than getting the blank, perforated cards to print, I buy heavy white card stock and cut them apart on a paper-cutter. This gives them a nice, clean edge. Though my paper cutter was purchased at a yard sale, I feel that a paper cutter is a good investment anyway, even if purchased new.

You can use card stock for making postcards or greeting cards with your own artwork or photos. Make cards that you can fold and seal with a piece of tape or sticker. This saves money on buying envelopes. Use the cut-offs from the card stock to make gift tags, a good project to do with the kids. Decorate them with catalog cut-outs, drawings, stickers, glitter glue, etc. I have even sold these at craft fairs-put a dozen or so in a small zip-lock bag with a label saying how they were made with recycled materials.

I make all the signage and information tags for my craft products on the computer. When selling crafts at fairs,the more information the customer can take with them, the better the item sells. Tell a story about your work, give suggestions for how it can be used, and how to care for it. Look for small frames at thrift stores, and frame your informational signs. This will draw attention to information that most people will not ask about. When a customer buys an item from you, make sure they have a way to contact you later. A small paper listing your upcoming craft shows, a business card, or instructions with your contact information really shows you care and want their business.

By Jennifer from Gilbertsville, NY

Top Comment

Great ideas Jennifer. I also pick up Target's 75% stationary such as wedding invitations, etc. They quality of paper is beautiful. I also pick up extremely discounted scrapbooking supplies. I've used the paper to wrap presents as well. There is nothing like beautiful heavyweight paper and crafts made from it. It seems so luxurious.

I like this, and I am going to be looking at card stock at the store now. Thanks!

Robyn

Unless you need your return address labels to be plain, I wouldn't even bother printing those, because I receive so many free ones in the mail from organizations I have donated to in the past, & organizations looking for my help. Of course, I always discard any that have misspellings. I have so many of these freebies that I end up culling them after a while, as I know I will never use them all. I keep the newest and nicest ones. If I need a plain label for a business letter, I can often just cut the design off a free one, leaving a plain label with my address. At Christmas time, I usually have enough free labels with holiday designs that I can even coordinate them with the cards I am sending!

Piggy bank with glasses looking at a calculator.
Frugal Business Advice
Better Living Frugal Living My Frugal LifeJuly 6, 2011
beautifully designed kitchen
Starting an Interior Design Business
Business Travel Tips, Business Woman on Laptop in Airport
Business Travel Tips
A young clothing designer.
Starting a Clothing Business
Creating a Business Plan for a Small Business, A handwritten business plan on paper.
Creating a Business Plan for a Small Business
🎉
🎄