Feeding Pets Vegetable Scraps

My tip for pets is to feed them your vegetable scraps. My dogs personally love all kinds of things I would never dream of from carrots, to lettuce and apples just to name a few. A few words of caution, don't feed them onions, garlic, or chocolate. They are not good for them.

Another tip; when I want to give my dogs a treat I make them pinto beans. They absolutely love them! Just make sure that the beans are thoroughly cooked. Who ever said human foods were not good for dogs wasn't thinking of whole foods, they absolutely are very nutritious and also help my dog Brandie with allergies.

Have a nice day.

By Dawn from Austin, TX

Make sure you wash them VERY well.

The pesticide on the skins will eventually make your dog sick.

You can cook for you dog anytime. I do ....I never buy dog

food with presevatives, colors and heaven knows what else is in that stuff. I use chicken, rice and veggies...and some canola oil.

My dogs love it..I have three.

You can alternate and use lean ground chuck...just make sure to drain the fat and add canola oil.

Make sure you wash them VERY well.

My dogs love it..I have three.

Not only are those foods mentioned (onions, garlic, chocolate) "not good for them", they are indeed poisonous, along with some other "people foods". I would suggest anyone do at least a google search on the topic before feeding their pets from the pantry...thats not to say that whole foods are not better for the animals than the commercial dog foods...just be careful. Macadamia nuts are also poisonous to dogs.

don't forget about fruits! Some dogs love fruits. My dog likes pinapple bits but I only give little and few pieces. I once had a dog who loved to eat apples. We lived in Virginia at the time and went apple picking. She would sit under an apple tree and eat apples while I picked! She also liked tangerines.

A friend of mine told me her dog likes dried sweet potatoes. She bought a dehydrator and makes her own instead of buying them.

Just because dogs are animals doesn't mean they can't benefit from real food. I would introduce a new food a little bit at a time. I gave my husky a few baby carrots once and she had diarrhea for days. I learned my lesson.

We have always cooked for our dogs too. I would cook for our kitty cat if he'd eat anything other than

Purina Kitten Chow. He will not eat anything else at

all. Not "people" tuna or salmon or cooked beef or

chicken. Nothing except that Purina Kitten Chow. The

breeder fed him that from the time he was eating solid foods, and we took him when he was 12 weeks old. He was already spoiled, but he seems to be very healthy and is so playful and frisky. He has a

beautiful coat of fur and the most gorgeous pale

blue-green eyes.

Our dogs always got a lot more vegetables than they did meat although we did boil the big beef bones until they were nearly mush sometimes.

We cooked brown rice only ...no white rice...and all kinds of vegetables including green beans, carrots,

almost any of the greens. No potatoes, but squash

and dried beans are OK. Cooked in the beef bones broth and well-seasoned with a lot of garlic and some added olive oil, they ate good and lived long healthy and active lives. Olive oil works for them the

same as it works for humans.

We added cod-liver oil to their food in the fall, winter and spring, and I do believe it contributed greatly

to their overall good health and energy levels.

It's truly amazing to find that your dogs will love bananas, apples. peaches or pears. Ours would eat

almost anything they saw us eating if we would let them. They'd clean up all the breakfast foods like

eggs, grits, sausage, ham or bacon, and smack their lips. Many times, they got scrambled eggs mixed in with grits cooked in milk...and they gobbled them right up...almost as quickly as they

ate cornbread or biscuits and gravy.

They'd eat canned salmon or tuna as fast as you

could open it and mix it with cooked brown rice. I think dogs may have an instinctive knowledge of what is good for them, and humans come along and destroy it by giving them all sorts of stuff which isn't

good for them, just because it's easier. We do the

same to ourselves and our children.

We're going to do better though, aren't we?

Julia in Orlando, FL

I agree, fruits, veggies and meat are a good supplement in addition to a quality dog food. But scraps? I give my dogs the same food I cook for myself.

Jennifer

Northern Virginia

I have been told for years - by my vet - to give my dog garlic to repell fleas!

My rat terrier/border collie LOVES her veggies. Her faves are lettuce, cucumbers and baby carrots. She will stick her head in the crisper drawer and help herself if I don't watch her. I also give her cabbage, celery, chickpeas, broccoli, cauliflower, radishes, tomatoes, peaches, pears, grapes, and beans. I had a cat when I was a teenager that loved broccoli and chocolate pudding! My brothers cat loved angel food cake with Coke poured over it. The cat I have now loves bean and bacon soup, yogurt and nacho cheese sauce. Funny how the furry kids have their own particular tastes.

I heard that grapes are dangerous for your dog. Please do a check on all foods before giving to your dog.

Grapes cause seizures in dogs and liver or kidney failure. It is very dangerous to feed them.

I urge everyone to go to the ASPCA website, poison control center and make sure you are not poisoning your dogs and cats.

Jennifer

Northern Virginia

Actually, garlic is good for your dog. Good for the heart and great for flea repellent. I asked my vet and they both said it was fine. Onions are poisonus!

While you shouldn't feed any chocolate to dogs, Baker's Chocolate is the most dangerous. It contains high levels of theobromoline.

My doxie got into about 12 Whoopers and the vet said that the amount of milk chocolate wouldn't hurt him and it didn't.

The humane society has information about human food that is poisonous to pets, go to www.hsus.org for the listing. Not only are grapes on the list, but raisins, walnuts, onions, onion powder, tea and salt are just a few things listed. I am glad that I checked this site out, my little terrier, Ruby, loves to drink my left over tea and now I know not to give it to her!!!

I have homing pigeons and I give them garlic oil mixed in their food with brewers yeast. The brewers yeast container, although I bought it from a pigeon company, it says for dogs.

I have a rotweiler, and I give him one head of garlic mixed with his food. Sometimes cooked, sometimes raw. Garlic helps strengthen the immune system, also helps with the digestive system, as I have read, and in dogs, it's also a flee repellent.

So my opinion is that if you don't give it in large amounts, it would help your pet more than hurt your pet. It's like everything, if you read the container of certain supplements it will tell you the safe quantity to give per body weight or age etc. So you know your pet, probably better than your vet. Observe your pet, and if you want to give your pet garlic, start with a very small amount and keep observing your pet.

Note: Many people have given their pets many things on the list of things not to give your pet. Pets have been pets for centuries and dog food and lists and etc were not available. Just the other day I heard that milk can cause cancer in humans, and in the same day i heard it promotes bone growth. Tell me if they really know what they know or do they know anything. That is why it is called "Practice".

Example: My dog in Cuba who I had since 1975, died in the 90's. Cuba has no dog food, brand name, or anything else brand named specifically for dogs. He ate what we ate. The cause of death (he fell from the roof).

A very important point is to exercise your dog regularly. Starting at a puppy for a few minutes a day, and increasing as they get older. I hope this helps.

My dogs love cooked green beans and carrots. My vet also told me to feed them solid pack pumpkin (canned) with organic non sweetened/non flavored yogurt, it helps their digestion and bowels. So when my dogs see me open the can of pumpkin and get out the yogurt they go crazy. Mixing that and the veggies looks gross, but is good for them and they get it at least once a week.

Healthy Dog Treats
Healthy Dog Treats
Pets Dogs HealthJanuary 30, 2006
Baby Bottle Feeding
Bottle Feeding Your Baby
Food Scraps
Uses for Food Scraps
Potholders From Fabric Scraps
Making Potholders From Fabric Scraps
Craft Using Fleece
Crafts Using Fleece Scraps
🎉
🎄