Shih-Tzu Peeing In Kitchen

I have a two year-old male Shih-Tzu. He is not yet fixed. For the last 8 months or so, i've stayed home with him almost every day and my husband would stay with him at night. Four months ago we had a seemingly never-ending stream of house guests who stayed (continuously) until about two weeks ago. My husband and I were extremely stressed about this situation and I think our dog (Pierre) could sense it. He was happy to have people here day and night, however, and he formed an obvious attachment to them. Coincidentally, both in the same two-week period, all of our house-guests left for good and I returned to work and school, leaving Pierre home alone for about 6-8 hours a day, something he was used to before I left my job eight months ago.

Since he's two years old and a very "city" dog, Pierre is house trained and has been (with a very clean record) since he was a young puppy. As soon as everyone left, Pierre began peeing on the kitchen floor every night, usually in the same place. We bought him a new toy, let him sleep with us at night and even leave the television on all day for him in an attempt to keep him from feeling so lonely. It seemed to be working pretty well, he hadn't had an incident at night since we let him come in and "visit" us at night. But today, when I came home from school after leaving Pierre alone for 6 hours, I found that he peed in the kitchen on the same spot.

I know there's no way to discipline him for this since he probably did it hours ago and wouldn't know what I was yelling at him for, but what can I do? Would having him fixed help? A dog walker? Block him off from the kitchen? Help!

Gsara from New York

If the dog will not go outside then you can train him on puppy pads thats what we have done. No one is home during the day at my house so i put newspaper on the floor then puppy pads on top. good luck i hope this will work for you!

That's not really the problem. He DOES go outside, he's just taking extra-curricular pees in the kitchen. I think it's because he's mad at us. What I really want to know is how to alleviate this behavior with that in mind. Thanks, though.

He may just really NEED to go. However, having him fixed may help, and he should be fixed for pet overpopulation control and for his own better health and safety. If this is a loneliness/attention behavior, you could try leaving a radio or TV on for him while you are at work. If it continues to be a problem, you may need to restrict him to a single room, like the kitchen, while you are away.

Please see www.wgnradio.com, weekend show, Steve Dale's Pet Central Q&As on Dogs. He's an expert. One Q is about a shih-tzu puppy with the same problem. Sounds like yours needs to be re-trained. Steve can explain how to do it right, with the least pain to all concerned. With all that stress, I'm surprised that's all he's doing. Sympathy to all.

Did you ever stop to think that after all that company,the little dog is Lonesome? get him a small doggie friend for company and you 'll find he'll be a different dog.you think 8 hours is long to you,well imagine how long it must seem to your little pet... nobody likes to be alone that long,not even a person..

hmmm....yes i did stop to think about that, and i actually stated in my post that i thought that was the problem. we can't all just go out and get new little doggie friends for our dogs. if it was that simple i wouldn't even be inquiring on here. thanks.

Get him neutered it will help alot. Some dogs just take longer to train, just keep up with taking him outside and praising him alot.

I have a shih tzu he is fixed, he goes in a crate at bedtime and when I go out, this might make your dog feel more secure, as I expect he can hold his pee all night when you are there.

Pets Dogs Dog Breeds Shih TzuSeptember 13, 2006
Dog Standing on Carpet
Preventing a Dog From Peeing on Carpet and Rugs
Large Kitchen Fire
Preventing Kitchen Fires
Litter Box
Cat Peeing Outside Litter Box
guilty dog
Dog Peeing and Pooping Inside
🎄