Reuse Kiddie Pool Water For Plants

My daughter purchased a kiddie pool large enough to hold an adult sized raft. She sunbathes in the privacy of our yard (I already lectured her about sun damage) and it's less expensive than joining a country club.

But the reason I am writing about this pool is because sometimes the wind blows the cover off and it fills with leaves, dirt, twigs. I told her to let me know when it's time to change the water and I'd use it to water the veggie garden and plants.

Need to figure out a pump system because dragging that bucket back and forth is for the birds.

By Holly from Richardson, TX

Editor's Note: For pumping out the water, you could try using an aquarium siphon.

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

Hi, Holly --

Instead of bailing with a pail, you could create a siphon using a length of hose. Put all of the hose into the pool and make sure that the water fills it completely up. Cover one end with your hand so the water doesn't run back into the pool, and pull the other end out to the garden. ( Or -- you might be able to use a hose with a turn-off nozzle if you are careful to keep it turned off until you're ready to use it and make sure the open end stays in the pool.)

There will probably be 'science-nerds' (bless your hearts!) on our lists who can tweak this if my details aren't quite correct.

Let us know, 'K?

Nancy in Florida

JUST GO TO YOUR LOCAL HARDWARE STORE AND BUY A SUBMERGIBLE PUMP WITH HOSES AND PUMP OUT THE WATER FROM THE POOL RIGHT TO YOUR GARDEN.

You can also use the pools for growing veggies. This is the second year I've grown zucchini in kiddie pools and so far, the plants are thriving. They're especially good when the pool has holes in it. In fact, it's best with holes! I've added strawberries to the pool-grown garden this year. Found it on the side of the road and have made three tiers.

I would resort to a Siphon that one uses to get kerosene out of the can to put into the kerosene heater itself.

I am almost sure you could get a siphon at a propane dealer store or even WAlmart.

Good Luck!

I am the world's biggest water recycler....BUT, I'd be more tempted ,with all the rainstorms in TX, to gaet a heavy-duty tarp and SAVE the POOL WaTER FOr

QUITE A WHILE. Did you know that YMCA's

and College pools are NEVER changed? At least that's what a few told me when I was doing research

on pool water testing as a young adult in my 30's!

They just keep chlorine in it and use a net to filter out any debris that might float out of the skimmer

basker. You should be able to save it for at least

a month? I'd use a heavy clear plastic tarp when not using it, and weight the four corners pulled snuggly down with small boulders/landscape rocks. That's

a LOT of water to have to tote, PERIOD, especially

with water restrictions in place during the Summer's in TX. If you have a special day to water, just let

the pool water be emptied on that day INTO THE YARD? You can haul a few watering cans to special pots or beds, right? Mosquitoes would be the bigger

concern right now, right? So, if you can have your

daughter to simply cover it each night, you'd save money/ labor on watering, and teach your child responsibility for the privilege of having a pool?

Remind her of all the billions of children around the

world that don't even have drinking water, much less

wimming/playing water? Or, have her to invite about four of her friends over to help tote the pool water AFTER swimming WITH her? Also, you could watch for an above ground pool filter system in the Greensheet being sold for peanuts because their pool got overused or became a headache? I sold one with a metal frame and motorized filtering system for $100. The liner had begun to get yucky at the water line, but the new folks didn't care. Good luck and God bless you both. : )

Actually, the cover is weighted down with large rocks and bricks, and the wind has been so vicious it swept the cover off a few times. But then, we've had some unusual weather lately.

I threatened to buy stakes and nail that cover into the ground.

Right now the pool is empty.

heyo a drill pump at the hardware store should be less than $10.00 and can be used by any cordless or corded drill.

I've enjoyed the many ways to change the water and water those plants from the pool.

Just one thing...plants do not like chlorine...so be sure your not using chlorine in that pool to water your plants. There are other ways to purify your pool water that are much safer...for the plants and you. Vinegar and peroxide work...don't know the formula..check with your local 'pool' people..they should know.

While your at it get a recycle or sump pump that should make 'watering the plants' a lot easier.

A large umbrella would make the sunbathing safer, but a timer might be the easiest way to control the situation.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

backyard pool
Using Swimming Pool Water for Plants
Better Living Green Living Conservation WaterJune 18, 2007
Cloudy water in an above ground pool.
Cloudy Water in an Above Ground Pool
Pool Tiles
Cleaning Pool Tiles
Water Softener
Buying a Water Softener
boy looking over the edge of an aboveground pool
Household Chemicals for Pool Maintenance
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 20, 2016 at 4:19:00 PM on 10.0.2.207 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.