Handy Headbands From Colored Tights

I love headbands, for fashion (especially on a bad hair day) and for washing my face to keep my hair from getting wet. Now that spring is here, I like to use colorful headbands - here is a great frugal way to make your own "stretchy" headbands that stay in place and are cute and cheap, cheap, cheap and don't leave dents in the side of your head.

Look around for colored tights, you can get them in any color (I myself am a Goodwill gal, so I get mine second hand - hey! that's what a washing machine is for). Cut off a "leg", and cut the foot part off. Wrap around your head, stretching so you have some tension to hold it in place once it's on. Then cut to desired length, you can sew together, or simply tie the ends in a know.

Obviously you will get more than one from one pair. I love these and use them all the time! I even have one in orange. :)

By Carol from Lancaster, PA

Hi, I take ladies pantyhose and cut the leg and foot off. Then cut across the leg into 1 inch strips. Each will be a circle of pantyhose. You can use each one as a headband. They stretch out after you wear them for a day. I put them into a small mesh laundry bag and wash with the laundry. They shrink back to a small size and I then reuse them. I pick a color of pantyhose that blends with my hair. It holds my hair back on windy days. Works great.

This is a great idea! For some reason (maybe my head is gigantic), headbands from the store always seem too tight to me. Definitely will try this out.

Great idea! Thanks for sharing! I will definately try this. Ready to bargain hunt for tights now, lol.

I cut across the bottom of the tights or pantyhose legs (where they are smaller than at the top) into rings and use them as ponytail holders. The wider the rings, the stronger they are.

young woman wearing a headband
Making Headbands
Better Living Frugal Living TipsMay 19, 2008
Making a Bow Style Crochet Headband
Making a Bow Style Crochet Headband
Uses For Tights
Uses For Tights
A woman wearing a wedding dress with red stockings.
Picking Tights or Stocking Color For Wedding
Plastic Headbands
Decorating Plastic Headbands