Spiders, Ants and Mice Oh My!

We moved into a small cottage that is a rental with only a small crawlspace under the kitchen. We put stainless steel everywhere to keep the mice out. That worked some. Then the ants were everywhere. Even on my poor dog. But the biggest problem is the spiders. They are everywhere, in every room.

The landlord will not help and I am on a fixed income. Please help! I am embarrassed to have people over. And I am having nightmares. They are in ceiling corners, on the floor, counters, bathtub, and once on the toilet This place has been redone, but is cracked outside all the way around the house. Any low-cost hints will be appreciated.

By Donna

Contact your local town, city or county rental authority for their rules and steps of how to get your landlord to remedy the problem. A landlord legally must rid their property of pests for tenants.

You don't say where you live but in the USA you have the right to break a lease if the place is uninhabitable. Find another place and get out of there. Also if you are disabled or a senior citizen there are laws to protect you.

An excellent way to get rid of all kinds of bugs is "Diatomaceous Earth" or DE as some prefer to call it. Kills bugs in 24 hours. I don't know where you live but type in Diatomaceous Earth in your search engine. You should find many web sites that sell it or try your local nurseries.

Be sure you ask for the "garden type or for insect killer". They do sell the "food grade" that is safe for humans, pets and livestock.

Do not buy the "swimming pool or filter grade" because chemicals have been added.

Hope this helps.

You could try the DE as suggested, or you could try cucumber peels and peppermint oil. and vacume vacume vacume. If you can find where the mice are getting in, stuff a few chunks of steelwool in the holes. All I can suggest about the spiders is to keep food waste down so no fly or gnats flit around. Good luck.

Home and Garden Pest Control AntsMay 6, 2011
Ants on a Trumpet Vine
Keeping Ants Off a Trumpet Vine
Spider Hanging on web Outside
Getting Rid Of Spiders Outside House
underside of Black Widow Spider
Getting Rid of Black Widow Spiders
Flying ant on a white background.
Getting Rid of Flying Ants