Freezing Fresh Parsley and Basil

Can fresh parsley and basil be frozen?

By B.R.

Freezing these herbs is tough. I read that you could put small bunches in tupperware filled with water and freeze them. First, this did not work very well and second, it took up too much space in the freezer. I grow both of these and also hate to lose their freshness and convenience at the end of summer. My solution is to make pesto with them and freeze that. Use any basil pesto recipe and add a handful of parsley - for a little extra burst of green and garden fresh taste. It freezes beautifully and tastes as good in January as it does in June.

I have never had basil to freeze, but I freeze parsley every time I buy some at the store. I pick the leaves off, put them on a cookie sheet and freeze them. When frozen I put them in ziplock freezer bags and lay them flat on th shelf of the freezer, under whatever else I have in the freezer. I do not use it raw, but it is great when I make my sauces, tastes so much better than dried.

I wash them and put 3-4 basil leaves in a foil pouch. Put all pouches in a zip lock bag and freeze. When you need fresh basil pull out a pouch. Works great for me.

Anonymous

I freeze an assortment of fresh herbs often. Rinse, pat dry really well, freeze like jsham does on a cookie sheet and then place in ziplock bags with as much air removed as possible.