Packed Lunch Ideas

I am looking for lunch ideas for hubby working on forestry gang. I have a tight budget, and he is sick of sandwiches. Any thoughts? Thank you.

By Elaina

My son takes pasta mixed with tuna, sweetcorn and mayonnaise for a change.

If he has real good thermoses(that doesn't look right) he could take any leftover from the night before as long as it would stay warm. There is also chef salads. I have seen men eat them for lunch quite often, This is all they have for the meal, but they are really large salads, probably about the size of a plate and piled quite high. When I was working every now and then I would take some of that soup to go, but you need access to a microwave to heat it.

If you are comfortable in the kitchen, how about hand pies and stromboli? The most basic difference is that hand pies use a short crust (flour, fat, no leavening); and stromboli use a yeast dough crust. You can fill them with a ground-beef based filling, mixed with whatever vegetables you like; leftover meats and veggies; sausages; lunchmeats and cheese; ricotta and mozzarella cheese; you are only limited by your imagination.

Go to a site like allrecipes.com and search the following terms:

Pasties

stromboli

calzone

samosas

runzas

Many ethnicities have a version of them. With many, you can cook them ahead and chill or freeze.

They can be eaten chilled or at room temperature.

Those sub sandwhiches my husband buys those big ones and cuts in halves and one sandwhich last 2 days so we buy3 then those little fruit cups,and those little six packs of v8 juice you can pour into thermos.or those tuna pouches, premade salad and put dressing in small container,and now they have those kits where you can make your own sub sandwhich sorta like lunchables hope this helps my husband takes his lunch we just experiment.

My son likes tuna salad or chicken salad on crackers. He also likes when I spread cream cheese on a tortilla, lay a thin-sliced meat on top and a row of midget (tiny, thin) dill pickles down the middle and roll it up. There are also cans of tiny sausages he could eat right out of the can.

This is a variation of a sandwich, but my hubby likes it, toasted frozen waffles, spread with peanut butter. Dot one side with raisins, and put apple slices in the middle. He also likes homemade tuna or chicken salad, and I send big leaves of lettuce, then he makes a 'wrap' with the lettuce leaves.

Cold noodle salads- I do many versions of pasta salads which make quite a bit of salad, are inexpensive and filling. Traditional tuna, mayo, celery, onion-is a great one; husband also likes this made with cooked red skin potatoes instead of pasta. Italian with salami and cheese, olives, tomato, and italian dressing mixed with a bit of mayo. Chopped chicken (use leftovers) and veggies and ranch dressing. You can adjust to your own tastes and use what you have on hand.