WeedsGardening

Getting Rid of Lambsquarter

I need information on how to eliminate lambsquarter from our garden. The last two years it seems to always take over. I thought we would be OK this year because a farmer said it probably started when last year we put a lime product with fertilizer in it on the garden. However, this year we put nothing on it and it's back. I've already planted it and now where the black landscaping cloth isn't used it's all growing back. Our garden is very big about 70x30. I'm getting worn out from pulling it and it's very expensive to cover the whole thing. If you have any suggestions please let me know.

Lamoon from Piqua, Ohio

I have tons of it, too. Honestly, I carry a bucket with me and pull it out by hand, a little bit every day. I hate it so much, I'm almost afraid to compost it out of fear of it spreading via the compost. A big part of controlling it has got to be preventing it from flowering and going to seed, and that's all that keeps me going. Good luck!

does cutting it before it seeds help at all? mowing it?

I am reading a book by Keith Stewart, "It's a Long Road to a Tomato". He mentions using a wheel hoe, tractor cultivation, hand hoeing, & the use of organic mulches such as straw, wood shavings, chopped leaves, even newsprint. He also says that Lamb's-quarters are edible (assuming it has no pesticides sprayed on it), having a wild, nutty flavor & packed with food value. When small, it can be steamed, stir-fried, or added to salad or soup. I have never tried it myself, but he is an organic farmer in New York. Hope this helps!

I have used wet newspaper in place of landscaping fabric. You can ask friends to save it for you so it's free. It's not beautiful but it smothers whatever you put it on!

The newspaper idea works well, but I've found that it also, to a fair extent, keeps water from reaching the ground underneath. Bear that in mind if you're planning on putting it near your flowers. I've considered poking smallish holes in it before putting it down so that the surrounding area doesn't suffocate. I think I nearly killed one of my rhodies by doing this.

Wish I were close to you. You would not have a problem, I would use all you have. Lambsquarter is my favorite of all greens. Pick leaves when small, no bigger than a quarter, steam or cook in water gently, add a pinch of sugar, a spalsh of vinegar, and a dash of nutmeg. Salt, pepper and butter may be added to taste. The plants can be repicked several times.

Don't get rid of it, eat it! It is a edible weed. As a young girl I would go with my Grandmother & Mother down to a creek near by & help them pick greens to make poke salad. They would pick wild onions, lambsquarters, stinging nettles, dandelion (greens & flowers), plus many other weeds I don't remember. These & many other edible weeds are described in a new book, "Green For Life" by Victoria Boutenko. Hope you find this as interesting I did & I have tried eating some of these weeds. We live in the foothills of central CA. Miners lettuce was very profuse here in the springtime, I added it to our salads. By the way, the lambsquarter is comparable to kale.

Edible unless you've been nukking your yard with weed killer.