Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

I have been given a lot of hamburger and hot dog buns. I passed on as many as I could give away. I have made bread crumbs, croutons, cinnamon toast, and dried bread cubes for stuffing, as well as bread pudding, and I have used them for sandwiches of all kinds. Does anyone have any more suggestions? I sure do appreciate it.

By Patty from Darrington, WA

We toast them in the oven with butter and a little garlic powder on top to go with our spaghetti.

I wonder if they would freeze well coated in the garlic butter for Italian food sides? Just defrost a bit and toast in the oven.

And they will make some good bird food! Got any bird feeders?

Sep 26, 2007 Make Up A Loaf Of French Toast For Later. A quick, easy and appreciated breakfast is to make up a whole loaf of French toast.

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf23074808.tip.html

Clay Recipes for Kids

Bread and Glue Clay

Easy Recipe

You'll need :

8 slices of day-old white bread

(Less expensive fluffy type)

1 /2 C. White Glue

Food color

Flour for work space

Wax paper

To Make:

Remove Crusts. Break bread into small pieces and put in mixing bowl. Pour glue over bread. Mix with one hand until

it becomes a sticky mass. Take the out of the bowl and form into a ball. With both hands keep patting into a smaller ball until it becomes just slightly tacky.

Dust work surface with a small amount of flour and knead gently until it becomes smoother and more pliable. Knead firmly at this time. Knead until texture is satiny, about 5 minutes.

Wrap tightly with plastic to store. Remember to seal the unused portion while working.

To color dough tear of portion needed, flatten and add color directly onto dough. Blend until satiny again.

Add flour, if needed to achieve the proper texture.

Air dry. Drying times vary depending on thickness. To speed up drying place on cookie sheet and leave

overnight in an unlit oven. Paint with acrylic paints (optional) and seal with spray on finish.

Easy Tip - Clean Up Time

Keep sticky, paint covered hands away from walls and furniture, with a wet soapy washcloth next to the project area.

Cheap Carp Bait

4 slices white bread

1 cup cottonseed meal

3 Tbsp imitation vanilla extract (don't use your wife's real vanilla extract its really expensive). In a medium bowl, combine bread, cottonseed meal with vanilla flavoring. Kneed and roll into a ball. The bait will be similar texture to bread dough. Store the bait ball in zip lock bag in the refrigerator. When you are ready to fish, pinch off enough bait to cover a #12 treble hook.

www.allysgoodies.com/Fishing.html

With milk and eggs with the bread in the blender, and you can make it into pancakes or waffles. Also, don't forget French toast.

Make filled buns

2 dozen hot dog buns

1 1/2 lb of velveta

2 4 oz cans chopped black olives

1 4oz can diced green chilies

2 chopped onions

3 chopped hard boiled eggs

1 can diced pimentos

2 cloves garlic minced

1 jar, chili sauce

Mix together and put on buns, wrap in foil. Cook at 350 F. in the oven until hot inside. Very good. Better than they look. I won't tell you what my daughter calls them. But she loves them. They freeze very well. We used to take them camping and cook on the fire.

Pull buns into small pieces and place in a large baking dish, approx 12 X 18 inches.

Blend:

1 to 2 cups of milk (depending upon how many buns you have used.)

4 eggs

1 cup sugar or to taste

1 cup golden seedless raisins

1 cup of pecans/walnuts chopped

favorite spice - nutmeg or cinnamon or combine w/ a dash of cloves

(If for adults add a splash of orange liquer)

Pour over buns and stir to blend. Bake at 375 degrees, approx 35 to 45 min or until egg mixture is set.

Serve warm.

Makes about 8 servings

Uhh how about using them for hot dogs and hamburgs? I freeze mine because I live alone. When ready to use I just wrap one in a paper towel and thaw in the microwave on high for about 15 seconds.

This was sent to me by a person that lives in New Jersey - supposedly the original recipe. I have made it before but I would cut the cloves, allspice and cinnamon in half (just my preference, you can always add them in later) - it wasn't a bad hot dog sauce just a little different (fresh or stale hot dog buns don't matter).

Johnny & Hanges Hot Dog Sauce Recipe

8 cups of water

1 pound of ground beef

1 6oz. can tomato paste

1 Tbsp. chili powder

1 tsp. ground cloves

1 tsp. allspice

1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper

1 tsp. ground cinnamon

8 hot dog rolls

I hope you have a wire whisk and a food processor, put 8 cups of water in a pot next put a little can of tomato paste and whisk until it's incorporated in the water. Next put the ground beef in the cold tomato water, yes I said cold water and whisk until it breaks up into very small pieces, then turn on the gas to med. setting bring to a boil turn down to a

simmer, now put in the spices.

Take the hot dog rolls put them in the food processor one at a time, break them up as you are putting them in the processor on high make soft bread crumbs, put the crumbs a little at a time in to the simmering mixture and whisk. It will take a little time but if you don't it will lump up on you and you will have a mess.

Please use fresh hot rolls only, do not use any other type of bread crumbs, the spices can and should be adjusted to your taste. Serve with mustard and chopped white onions, this can be done in a food processor by pulsing in the processor.

stratta - depression cooking found some wonderful youtube videos on how to do it

Basic idea is like a layered quiche

Day old crusty bread - torn into bite size pieces - I mostly use the bread loaf butt ends because my kid refuse to eat them (let them get hard and crusty on the counter or uncovered in fridge). Any and all veggies you want to use

spice to your liking. I just use garlic/onion powder or Italian blend

egg mixture

do layers of bread then veggies (like lasagna)

pour egg mixture all over

set heavy pan over eggy bread to weigh bread down to soak up egg mixture for about 20 min

bake

I can barely keep the leftovers in the house.

Thank you everybody for your responses. I gleaned many new ideas. Those hot dog and hamburger bunds just keep coming, and I have my freezer full of them already! I will pass on as many as I can and use the rest for the recipes and ideas found here. Terrific! Bless you all.

How about pizza buns? Spread with pizza or spaghetti sauce, cover with mozzarella cheese and add your favorite pizza toppings, my kids like olives and pepperoni. Bake in 350 oven for 5-10 minutes. Then enjoy!

Bunsteads

My mom made these all the time, and they were a family favorite.

2 cans chunk light tuna, drained

4 hardboiled eggs, peeled and diced

1/3 cup finely chopped onion (optional)

1/3 cup sweet or dill relish (whichever you like)

1/2 cup finely diced cheese, Velvetta or cheddar

1/3 cup mayo

salt and pepper to taste

8 hot dog or hamburger buns

Mix all ingredients (except buns!) in a largish bowl, gently, so the cheese mixes in evenly.

Open the buns, and put them in a baking pan, about 9x13. divide the mixture evenly between the buns, close the buns, and top the baking dish with foil.

Bake the Bunsteads in a 375F oven for about 20-25 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the buns are toasted/crunchy when you press on them.

You don't need expensive tuna for this, and it turns out to be fairly economical. If you have leftover chicken or turkey, you could dice it and use it instead of the tuna.

Uses for Leftover Hotdog and Hamburger Buns
Food and Recipes Food Tips LeftoversJanuary 19, 2010
Sticky Buns
Sticky Buns Recipes
Hot Dog Buns
Recipes Using Hamburger or Hot Dog Buns
Hot Dog Buns
Hot Dog Bun Sandwiches Recipes
Hot Cross Buns on Wood Board
Hot Cross Buns Recipes
🎉
🎄