Swiffer Socks

In 10th grade, we chose to do an invention using Swiffers. I want you to take a minute and think about this... Swiffer Socks. It is an invention to take the original dust cloth to the next level. With it's snug fit under your feet, it will allow you to go in hard to reach places without straining your back.

Just imagine an elderly lady is cleaning her floor and she can't bend down. Instead of risking hurting her back, she just throws on the those socks, and she's done in no time. The curvature of your feet, enables you to reach the places that the original Swiffer could never get at.

Some of the many benefits to the Swiffer socks is it is fast to clean up and easy to take off the Swiffer pads when you're done. Also, there are two different types of pad to clean up. One is for cleaning dust and one is for cleaning wet spills. The last benefit is it comes with certain techniques to make your cleaning a lot easier.

Tell me what you think?

Connor F.

Hi there, what a great idea, my only advice is that you should be sure to let people know to be extra careful, so they don't slip and fall, or maybe suggest they have one only on one foot at a time. I think they may be a little slick, but I know this idea sounds like a winner. Maybe I'll put some on my 7 year old and get some work done! Good luck with your project!

I am 1 of the people who can't even bend to put my socks on, so what about Swiffer slippers, the type that just has the toe and the sole, you could slip your foot into it and not have to put it up over your ankles. 1 advantage of a full sock is you could run your foot along the top of the baseboards and get the dust off of them.

What I do is throw a rag on the ground, do the work with my foot, then pick the rag up with a pick-up stick.

My local Walmart has a slipper in the vacuum department that is for dusting your floors.

Not wanting to burst any bubbles, but in Bed, Bath, & Beyond...there is a mop slipper or sock...I can't remember, but I don't think it's as nice as using a thick swiffer pad. As for me, I've switched to using a mirco fiber mop pad on my swiffer that's machine washable.

All I could think of was that poor elderly lady slipping and breaking a hip.

I am concerned about the safety of your idea, particularly elderly people, disabled people etc that could slip and seriously injure themselves.

GO FOR IT! People who cant use them just won't or shouldnt buy them! I think the idea is like combining cleaning and exercise. More fun! Make sure you have them come in KIDS, TEEN and HUSBAND sizes lol. I will buy some as "gifts" (: Actually, it would be great to market them in college towns - The college kids could have cleaning parties. I bet they would sell!

Connor,

You are my kind of thinker! You're destined to go far in this world. Good for you. The safety factor is an issue with older people. So you put a warning on the product. What product today doesn't come with a warning, right?

But, for us really frugal (cheap) people, I have been doing this for years with my real socks (ever since my back went on strike) . I rarely wear good ones around the house, so I don't care if they get nasty, I just throw them in the wash, doesn't seem to hurt them any. I've even sprayed a little cleaner on the bathroom floor, used my socky feet as dry mops and given the floor a quick mop up. Then off they go into the wash. For real clean ups I still use a real mop.

People are always getting patents for improvements to existing products, so don't let that stop you. I like the way your brain works.

~gloria in western NY

Hello Connor,

Yes my first thought was of an elderly falling, since I am a nurse that's always my first thought. But you need to be commended in at least trying to use your mind and it shows your thought process for asking of what others think. Just beware when you ask for comments some people don't have any tack. I think it is great your teacher is asking you to do this.

I home school my children and my 14 year old son loves to think of ideas to better a product. Keep brainstorming and you will come up with a good idea that might not be perfect for all but good for many. What about attaching the sock to the duster, that way it could be washed and reused. That's environmental and thrifty. Good luck

Now don't y'all laugh at me, but this really works. Put some fun music on, stick a maxi pad of the bottom of each sock and dance away while cleaning your floor. When you're done, just toss away. I've done this and am so happy I finally got to share it.

kghsave...I do the same thing. Instead of buying the throw away swiffer pad, I use the micro fiber pad too. You can get them a walmart very reasonable. Just poke it into the holes, meant for the swiffer pad.

A Great Idea. A good way to put orphan (only one remaining) socks to good use.

What a great idea! Now I have a use for all the socks with no mate. I've been saving them for polishing shoes and slipping over my hand for dusting, but your idea is one I might actually use!

I am sorry that some people who responded to your idea might have thought you actually meant to put the socks on your feet. Duh. I know you meant to put the sock over the Swiffer mop head.

I love my Swiffer mop. I use wet wipes made for it that I buy at Dollar Tree. Its 20 for $1. Yesterday I washed my kitchen floor with my old sponge mop and could hardly move it around. Its so heavy and clunky. Take it from this old lady that you are right about a Swiffer. There is no need to move heavy furniture. It goes right under it.

Best of luck in all your endeavors!

Great idea...but I am concerned about "Swiffer!" Have just received an email (checked on Snopes)...the chemical cleaner in "Swiffer" is causing liver failure in our pets, and there is a warning (very small print) on the package about animals & children! The chemicals used are very close to "anti-freeze" which we all know is toxic!

I think it's a great Idea. The only draw back would be that my 86 year old MIL that lives with me can't put her own socks on. If there was a way to slip something on the bottom of their shoes or socks without them having to bend and contort to put on "socks" it would be great. And it couldn't be slippery so they wouldn't fall. Keep thinking, I'm sure you'll come up with a million dollar solution!

Sounds like a really neat idea, but some of us older people don't have that good of balance and to use our feet for those tight dusting spots we might tend to slip with those things on our feet. You know that "help I have fallen and can't get up". Think I will pass trying this out.

Pergammano, you need to actually READ the Snopes.com page about Swiffer:

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/swiffer.asp. It does NOT contain the same ingredient as anti-freeze. It does contain the same ingredients as many other cleaners, so if Swiffer was causing health problems in pets, you'd hear about other brands doing the same.

I prefer to use the microfiber cloths with vinegar and water solution and wash, airdry and reuse them. I can poke these cloths into the holes on the bottom of my mop just the same.

Very good idea, I use old towels to clean my floors. Lay the towel on the floor and using a spray bottle of cleaner, spray a few feet ahead of you and shuffle your feet while standing on the towel. It works great for everyday cleaning and it is also great exercise!

I can see slipping a Swiffer sock on one foot - but I'd hang on to the edge of the counter or something for all I'm worth, and keep one of my non-skid slipper socks on the other!

PS: I'm visually impaired and have both balance and mobility issues. I also have trouble bending over, so the technique I described would probably be a good deal easier than having Swiffer socks on both feet.

I think it's a great invention but you should know I've been cleaning my floors with towels under my feet for years.

Did you watch the program pitchmen TLC they're promoting Shuffles, sounds like someone beat you to the punch.

Home and Garden Cleaning ProductsJanuary 26, 2009
WetJet Package
Unclogging a Swiffer Wet Jet
Swiffer Wet Jet
Replacing the Bottle on a Swiffer Wet Jet
A picture of a pair of socks.
Organizing Socks
🎄