Crafts Using Recycled Floppy Disks and CDs

I am looking for crafts using old floppy disks and non-working CD discs.

By Kelly from Medina, OH

I saw this at my local Christmas lights tour last winter ...

Build the frame of a Christmas tree with 2"x? going across the inside of the frame. (I hope I'm making sense.) From those pieces of wood hang the CD's in even rows. When the wind hits them they twirl and sparkle. It's beautiful.

Let's see if I can explain it better. Basically, you're building a structure much like a teepee. Every 2' or so from the top down put a wooden piece from one side of the frame to the other. Tie the CD to some string and the other end is tied to the horizontal piece of wood.

Trust me, it's great.

I have made cd coasters & Christmas ornaments with the cd's. I've also put a ribbon on the floppy discs and made an ornament for the "computer geek" in the family. Just come up with creative ways to decorate them. I've uploaded my coasters and cd ornaments to show you an example.

The first pic was one I made for myself one year because I started sewing. That obviously is the front, the next photo I is the backside and I used an old Christmas greeting card.

I have made cd coasters & Christmas ornaments with the cd's. I've also put a ribbon on the floppy discs and made an ornament for the "computer geek" in the family. Just come up with creative ways to decorate them. I've uploaded my coasters and cd ornaments to show you an example. You can use pictures, old greeting cards...whatever works for you.

Backside of coaster covered with felt.

Since I glued 2 cd's together with E6000 glue, I decided to trim the edges of the cd coaster with ribbon to give it a finished look. Oh, by the way, covered the top with clear contact paper.

I use mine as a stiff insert when I crochet something I want to be stiff. Things like coasters, or the sides and bottom of a bowl. Just google "CD crochet patterns".

Or let your kids go to town gluing glitter and decorations on them for the holidays. A hot nail or screwdriver will put a hole in the top for hanging, or you can hang it from the center hole.

The sewing ornament is very unique, but it looks quite heavy, might be something fun just to hang in the sewing room. The coasters look very well done also. I love the Christmas tree idea. I've made the sun catchers before. Will try this next month! I wonder if you could also make other shapes like an angel using triangles for the body and wings and a diamond shape for the head. Could add color to the CD's on the body. Thanks for the inspiration!

floppy disk pen holder
Uses for Old Floppy Disks
Crafts Recycled Crafts CDsOctober 4, 2010
CD Spinner Top
Crafts Using CDs
CD Notepad
Making a Recycled CD Notepad
Tassimo Coffee Maker
Crafts Using Tassimo Coffee Disks
Uses for CDs
Uses for CDs
🎄