Keeping Rabbits Out of Engine Compartment

How can you keep rabbit out of your engine compartment? The menace had chewed my car wires first causing major damage with an estimated cost of over $2,000.00. I couldn't figure out how it could have made such big teeth marks. My car is still in the shop awaiting a new wire harness.

Then this week the rabbit got in my husband's car, and cost $252.44 to repair the minor damage. The rabbit traveled 16 miles to our first stop, and 22 miles to the shop. He now has a new place of residence, and I hope it doesn't find it way back to us. We had moth balls in the engine compartment and pepper chaser. I like the steel wool idea. If any of you have it happen to you, call your car insurance to see if you are covered under comprehensive. Our damages are covered 100%. Anyone for rabbit stew?

Rabbit In Engine

I would look up what humanely repels them & put it somewhere harmless in your engine. Maybe they are looking for a warm place? I've really never heard of it but I feel badly for you & the rabbits. I wouldn't want them to get hurt either. They are just acting on instinct.

Try rat traps. The rabbit probably won't actually be caught by it but the snap and painful foot will scare it off - hopefully it'll learn to stay out of there. A long time ago I owned an airplane and birds would build nests on top of the muffler and that worked. Once I even caught the d*&% bird!

Of course you'll have to remember to take the traps out before driving - I always did a pre-flight inspection of the engine and of course removed the traps then.

My friend had a rabbit attack his car 3 times the same week. I asked him well how do you know it was a rabbit? He said he drove 12 miles to go back to the mechanic.The mechanic popped the hood and Mr Bunny jumped out and ran for his dear life.

His mechanic told him that he should try the Rid-A-Rat and went to the hardware store to buy one. The store was out so he went to their web site and got one.

Now several months later his car is still chew free and he is thrilled.

Consumer Advice Cars AdviceDecember 16, 2007
Rodent nest in a car's engine compartment.
Mice Nesting in a Car
Glove Compartment
Organizing Your Car's Glove Compartment
Black and white rabbit eating grass.
Keeping Rabbits Out of Your Garden
Pet Rabbits
Raising Pet Rabbits