Registering a Shih-tzu/Min-Pin Cross

I have a pup whose father is a Shih-tzu and mother is a Min-Pin, so he is a Pin-tzu. Can I get him registered?

By Amy from Decatur, OH

No, the American Kennel Club only registers pure-breeds, and only if both parents were registered. As cute as he is, and he is so very adorable, he cannot be registered with the AKC, which is the only reliable Kennel Club in the US.

I am not sure if you can register him (and you would need to have registration papers for both parents) but there is a program called the "AKC Canine Partners Program" exclusively for mixed-breed pets. Here's the link:

The best thing to do is call the AKC and ask and I am pretty sure you'll find a contact number at that link. There must be exceptions to the rule because otherwise there wouldn't be registered breeds like Cockapoos, etc.

BTW, what a little cutie pie he is ;-)

Your pup is beautiful, but not eligible for AKC registration ( another poster mentioned cockapoos being an exception; that's not so. While they're adorable,and considered by many to be "designer" bred. They are also technically just mixed breed dogs).

The AKC Canine Partners program permits you to register your mixed-breed pup for the purpose of having it participate in some organized activities, like agility and other physical competition. It doesn't provide you with AKC registration papers or the go-ahead for AKC show. Those are only available if the parents on both sides are the same AKC-recognized pure breed, and show if the dog meets the lineage requirements and the individual AKC breed-specific standards for physical attributes and temperament.

I have a Pin-Tzu as well. Shih-Tzu mother, Min. Pin father. He is the cutest little guy and very smart as well as affectionate. These dogs are considered Hybrid and not recognized by any official association as far as I know.

I thought I saw a site for owners of Pin-Tzu to share info etc, but I haven't been able to find it again. Good luck with your puppy!

closeup of puppy
Shih Tzu Mix Photos
Pets Dogs AdviceFebruary 12, 2010
Draping an Easter Cross
Draping an Easter Cross
Cross Stitch
Finding Cross Stitch Patterns
A couple opening wedding gifts.
Registering for Wedding Gifts
Hot Cross Buns on Wood Board
Hot Cross Buns Recipes