ColoringHair Tips

Two Haircolorings For The Price Of One

When coloring my hair the other night, I was thinking how wasteful it was to have to get rid of a half bottle full of unused color. When I finished coloring my hair, I rinsed out the mixing (developer) bottle. Next time I color my hair, I am going to pour half of the developer and half of the colorant into the empty bottle and mix it. I will save the remaining half of each solution in their original containers. They should be fine this way as they will not be mixed until I need them. Viola! Two haircolorings for the price of one! Be sure to rinse the bottle again so you can use it for future haircoloring.

By Sandy from WI

I can guarantee this will work - I've been doing the same thing myself!

This is a great idea. I have very short hair and usually have to throw half the bottle away. Thanks.

Sometimes if I have some left, I put it in the refrigerator or freeze it in a plastic ziploc bag. When you're ready to use it, you can just take it out and if needed thaw it a little. The coldness keeps it from exploding in the bottle.

I've been doing this for years. I just use a plastic measuring spoon and measure out equal amounts of each product into a small glass or plastic bowl. I recap the bottles and mix the two ingredients in the bowl well (use a plastic spoon......not metal) and apply to my hair. I can get three...sometimes four applications out of one kit! My hair is short and baby fine texture so a little goes a long way for me!

Been doing this too. Would never consider throwing it out. Don't save any dye you've mixed with peroxide, though.

No everyone, this isn't a good idea! There is a reason that the manufacturers tell you to discard any remaining color. It's dangerous to keep it! This was one of the very first things they taught us in Beauty School. Please throw it away! For your own safety do not keep it!!Cut corners in other areas, not this one it just isn't worth it!

Saving half the bottle of color and half the bottle of peroxide is a great idea as long as they are not mixed already. The only thing bad with color is once you open it, it will start to slowly begin the oxidization process even if you don't mix it with the peroxide. If it's a liquid color it will be good for 2-3 months after you open it, and if it's a cream color it can be good up to 6 months. Just make sure that you don't previously mix the color and peroxide, and above all make sure that both bottles are tightened very well or they will go bad within a matter of hours.

I too have done it for quite awhile with no problems

Like the rest of you, I too have been doing this for years. I got a mixing bowl and measuring tube from Sally's Beauty Supplies to do it with. I just rinse them out and reuse each time. I had never heard of anyone freezing the color, however, so I'm wondering if this might be a way to keep the color from oxidizing as quickly. Also, I don't buy the dye kits, I just buy the colors from Sally's and get a big bottle of the amonia mixture and then mix the amounts of whatever colors I'm working with. That saves money as well because they have sales on various brands all the time. Add a value card (kind of like what they sell at the book stores) and you get an additional few dollars off.

I've been doing this for years with success, too. I have a question, though: What does the "ammonia mixture" bottle at Sally's look like? Is it available to those of us without beauty licenses? Thanks!! Midge

I have been doing this successfully for years. You can only do it by keeping the original chemicals not mixed though. I mark the half way point on each bottle, pour off half of each chemical into an old dish that can be thrown away afterwards, and mix with a new wooden spatula. This way the original chemicals are untouched because they are still in the containers they were bought in.

Me too! Been doing this for years. Also do it because I like to mix several colors to get the right shade, since Clariol discountinued the one I loved and used for years.

I color my hair all over every three months and touch up the roots quite frequently and so divide up the color and developer and have been doing so for years with no complications. It is not as tho the color sits for months and months. I think the danger is overrated. Heck I color my eyebrows! (gasp!)