Keeping Dogs Cool In Summer and Warm In Winter

My service dog is a Shih Tzu. I try not to take him out in the heat, but when I do I put him on my lap to keep him off the hot ground. I wrap a cloth around a cold gel pack for him to lay on and help him to stay cool. Also, I have a umbrella on my power chair that is actually for a beach chair. Off we go and we both stay cool.

In cold weather, I use a heated gel pack and he wears a jacket, or I use a small blanket to keep him warm.

Bubba loves going bye-bye. When the ground isn't hot he walks beside my chair. He really likes it when we go fast, as I can't run with him as I'd like to. He gets his exercise and considers it play time when I'm on the sidewalk, and he can run beside me on the grass.

Bubba alerts me when I can't hear something. Not long ago he woke me up growling at 2:00 AM. I looked toward the window and there was a shadow. I'm sure whoever it was heard him growling and didn't stay around. After a while, Bubba laid back down beside me and finally went back to sleep.

BTW, I use the gel packs for myself when in pain, so they really are used often.

By Southern Grammy from Mobile, AL

This is an excellent tip!

I have a Shih tzu too, his name is Mack. Most people wouldn't think of them as being a 'guard dog', Mack is! When there is someone out in the hallway or outside under our balcony, he lets me and them. know that they aren't welcome. He loves the snow and dislikes the heat, perfect for living in northern Ontario, Canada. In summer he must have the a/c on in the car and our apartment, with a fan on the floor to lounge in front of. I like your ice pack idea, thanks for sharing it with us! This is Mack when he was a puppy.

A dog drinking water on a hot day.
Keeping Your Dog Safe in Hot Weather
Pets DogsJune 22, 2011
A fan used for keeping cool
Keeping Cool on Hot Nights
White Folder Comforter
Cleaning Comforters
Cold frame and glass cloches for plant protection.
Preparing Your Garden for Winter
A thermometer on the side of a house reading 100 degrees fahrenheit.
Keeping Your House Cool Without AC
🎄