Cutting Things Out

I evidently failed cutting things out in kindergarten. I am trying to cut out, traced cardboard template, shapes of flowers, etc. but can't seem to get them to look good. What else can i do? do i need a "die cutter"?

Thanks,
Pam from Elkhart, IN

Your local craft store may have a die cut machine...you can call them and ask. Did you cut with scissors? You may want to try an X-Acto knife. Anyway, I hope you figure it out. Sometimes it just takes a little practice to figure things out :) God bless :)

try cutting with the 'wrong' side up then when you flip it over to the side you want to look at, it looks a little smoother.

I was a paper doll fanatic as a young girl and figured out the "trick" way back when. You hold the scissors steady and more the paper or cardboard. If you'll be cutting into an inside point, cut from one side going inward and then switch to the other side going inward again. Hope this makes sense to you, good luck!

With practice, Pam, you will get better, I promise! Eileen is correct about moving the paper around while holding your scissors steady when cutting. Also, don't completely snip all the way and close the scissors completely, it makes a little jagged edge, stop, then open the scissors back up and snip again. Sometimes, you can just go too fast and chop, chop, chop, it looks jagged. Take your time and go slow and cut smoothly. I love hand cutting paper and make homemade cards with all sorts of templates.

Also, when handling the scissors, make sure you keep your thumb up!

One really important factor not to overlook are the scissors themselves! (My kids call me a scissors snob.)

The kind you get at the dollar store might be ok for clipping coupons, and the like, but not much more! Invest in a half decent pair, and you may be surprised how much better they cut for you. I like the brand with the orange handles best--they're a good value for your money. Don't use them on things like cutting pipe cleaners and things that can harm the blades. This same brand has a scissors sharpener you can get (sometimes they come free with the scissors) that is nice to re-hone the blades.

Don't drop them, clean them periodically (especially if you have been cutting anything with adhesive on it), and keep them dry.

I'm willing to bet your less-than-perfect results are the result of either cheap or old and dull scissors!

Check with your local library. Our system has a die cutter that gets transferred between the different branches. They have hundreds of different dies to choose from. You can order up whatever you want. It is free to use.

thanks ladies! do use fiskars scissors...great tips here and will do all and will send photos of "cuties" when done! hugs to all!

Crafts PaperJanuary 18, 2007
Cleaning Plastic Cutting Boards
Cleaning Plastic Cutting Boards
fabric scissors
Cutting Fabric Strips
Cutting Fabric Straight With Scissors
Cutting Fabric Straight With Scissors
Cutting Cake Layers
Cutting Cake Layers
🎉
🎄