Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Crafts Using Burnt Matchsticks

Does anyone have any ideas for making things from burnt matchsticks? I made a cross with some and that turned out wonderful. Any suggestions? I remember when I was a little girl my uncle made lamps and coffee table tops with them. He has passed away and I would love to find some of these patterns. Thanks in advance for your help.

By Busdrivr from Clemmons, NC

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By katherine allen [1]04/18/2009

I met a man who learned his craft while he was in Levenworth Pen. He made jewelry boxes using cardboard cigar boxes, which he would cut up and make drawers, doors,etc, as well as from 1 layer to 4 or 5 tiered boxes, then glue his burnt match sticks to it, add legs, or felt on bottom and shellac or varnish - this was back in the days before the poly stuff

By Lisa [1]04/12/2009

Your uncle was making "Tramp Art" and it's highly collectible now. There are several websites devoted to this fabulous art form.

By kathleen williams [23]04/08/2009

Search for"crafts using burnt matchsticks"good luck.

By Myrna [13]04/08/2009

We have a matchstick open bible on pedestal and an uplifting bible verse is painted on it and then painted over with semi gloss polyurethane. This was given to us and it's quite a conversation piece in our home.