What Can I Give My Dog for Fur Balls?

I have a miniature Pomeranian who suffers badly from fur balls, to the point that she vomits and coughs for days on end until she regurgitates or passes the fur. During which time she doesn't eat. I brush her daily, but I need a safe product to give her to get the fur to pass through quickly. I have tried flaxseed oil, but this gave her very loose stools and a belly ache. I also tried a vet product called Laxette gel, but it didn't break down in her system so didn't work. Can you help?

I've used Petromalt for my cat. I just looked online, and found several sites that say it is okay for dogs, too. It comes in a tube and you squirt it out like toothpaste. It's oily, and helps lubricate and pass those furballs. I put it on the back of a spoon and let my cats lick it off, but you could also put it on the dog's paw and let her clean it off.

I'm giving a link so you can see what it looks like here in the US; I don't know if you'll be able to find the same product with the same packaging in Australia. It can be found in pet stores or in the pet department of superstores.

http://www.amazon.com/Petromalt-Fla ... -Ounce/dp/B000255UYY/?tag=thrif06-20

Hope you find something that works and your doggy is feeling better soon!

Have you thought about having the dog's fur groomed shorter? That might help too.

I was also going to mention having her groomed to a short length. For the fur balls I give my cat a teaspoon of cream cheese or sour cream every morning and it has worked wonders for her. I don't see why that wouldn't work for a small dog too.

Wirh cats, you can put a dab of Vaseline on their paw or chin. They lick it off and it helps move the hairball out. Don't know if it will work on dogs.

Pets Dogs HealthMarch 10, 2011
A pile of yellow tennis balls.
Saving Money on Tennis Balls
Cleaning Mink Fur
Cleaning Mink Fur
Faux Fur
Fixing Matted Faux Fur
pink dog
Dyeing a Dog's Fur Safely