MicePest Control

How Do I Get Rid of Mice?

What is best way to get rid of mice?

By Wanda from Saluda, SC

Nothing works better than a female cat.

My daughter was told by a farmer that mice are repelled by the smell of mint. She uses the peppermint extract oil that comes in small bottles and is sold wherever soap-making and candle-making supplies are sold (she bought hers online). She mixes a cap full of the extract with water in a spray bottle and sprays the outside base of her house and garage.

Probably the best way to get rid of mice is to set traps around the house. Make sure that you put them in some of your cupboards so that when the mouse tries to retrieve food it had met it's match. This is probably the best way. Most people think that a cat will always work, but my cat just played with the mouse and never did anything to it. Try putting up traps they aren't that expensive and if you could by them at any grocery store really.

I read years ago in Mother Earth News that rats and mice have a one-way digestive system, so they can't burp. By putting down jar lids of soda around, (safe for kids and pets if they get into them) you can keep them under control.

Good luck!

I second the cat. Cats that play with mice are trying to sharpen up their hunting skills. They are not tormenting the mouse for the fun of it. Sometimes you will get a cat that isn't that great a hunter, but most are naturals. I think females are better, but I have a neutered tom that is a wanton killer. No mice get into his territory; he also kills rats, and even, once, a jackrabbit!

Please do not use cruel methods. Mice are very family oriented. Good moms. Do not make them suffer. Glue traps are of the cruelest. Poisons cause much pain and suffering. Mint, spearmint and the like sounds great. I like reusable tin cats trap which catch them alive in numbers. I then relocate them at least a quarter mile from home. Be sure and check tin cat often. It would be cruel to let them suffer with no food or water. Mice have feelings.

They sell compassionate traps. They are small black tunnels about the size of a can of fruit. The mouse goes in, isn't hurt and you can take it away and let it go. They are very popular in New England.

And after all that find out where they get in and plug up that hole or you will never be completely rid of them. If they can get it once they can do it over and over.