Blankets for Kids with Cancer - Categories:

AdviceCrafts

Blankets for Kids with Cancer

I want to make those little blankets like you get at wal-mart then sew the edging on for babies. I want to make them for the children who have cancer at the hospital here in NC. Recently a friend of mines little boy passed away down there with cancer and I would like to do something to comfort those little guys. They will accept the blankets.(or money, I have none) My only problem is I can't afford to buy them, does anyone know of a place I could get to donate them or even let me have a BIG discount? PLEASE HELP! THANKS

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

There are organizations you should look to. my mother works with the Linus Foundation. (http://www.projectlinus.org/home.htm) They acept donations and give them to their seamstresses. You could work with an organiation like this, they will help you acquire materials.

you can also check with thrift stores or resale shops they usually have craft things like that. my mom made those blankets for the same cause and thats where she got some of her supplies, also when its nice out she goes to yard or garage sales and find material or yarn or what she needs

It wouldn't hurt to ask your local fabric stores if they would donate roll-end remnants. You might have to offer to enclose a card with the blanket when giving it to the kids' parents, stating that the fabric was donated by so-and-so fabric store. That way the store gets some free advertising out of the deal to offset their financial loss.

Wal-Mart has a donation fund which they give out money's on a monthly basis. You will have to ask a member of management for a donation application, tell them that you are making the blankets for a non profit organization. Wal-Mart works with several programs including the Make a Wish foundation and the Childrens Miracle Network program, so they do have a soft spot for children programs. If you do recieve a donation one month, you will need to reapply for the following month. Also when you speak to the member of management, you may want to ask him if they can get a program started within that Wal-Mart and perhaps the stores within that district to have associates as well as customers to make these much needed blankets for the children and have them donated on the behalf of Wal-Mart and yourself.

Thank you all for your post you all are always so helpful.

Hello,

I used to make bed sets and comforters and sell them on ebay. I have always been donating things to cancer patients. They mostly are just stuffed animals and toys. My son has so many toys. I wanted to donate blankets and other things as well. If you would like to try to get something started, please respond back. My email address is budercakes @ hotmail.com (remove spaces).

Thanks!

i SHOP AT THE GOOD WILL AND THEY HAVE SENIOR'S DAY EVERY WEDNESDAY. THE BABY BLANKETS ARE OF ALL SHAPES AND SIZES. GENTLY USED. THEY CAN BE WASHED AND LOOK LIKE BRAND NEW. I PAY A DOLLAR OR TWO FOR THESE BLANKETS. IF YOU SEW, YOU CAN GET THE MATERIAL ON THE CLEARANCE TABLES AT WALMART OR YOUR LOCAL STORE THAT SELLS MATERIAL, I JUST GET PRINTED KID MATERIAL AND CUT THE SIZE I WANT AND FOLD OVER THE EDGES AND SEW THEM DOWN. GOOD LUCK YOU HAVE A SWEET HEART , MAY THE LORD BLESS YOUR KINDNESS TO THESE LITTLE CHILDREN. CHARLENE IN LAS VEGAS NEVADA

Also try Freecycle.org. There are multiple listings of local groups that you can join through YahooGroups. Instead of throwing things away and creating a greater landfill, people will post what they are looking to get rid of. Multiple times on the group I am on, there has been fabric, yarn and other types of materials that you would be looking for. You can also post a Wanted listing.

Crafts AdviceJanuary 3, 2005
fleece tie blanket
Making Fleece Tie Blankets
Breast Cancer Awareness Pin
Breast Cancer Awareness Craft Ideas
Breast Cancer Detection and Prevention
Breast Cancer Prevention
Caring hands
Helping a Friend with Cancer
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 24, 2016 at 8:53:43 AM on 10.0.2.28 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.