How Can You Tell Where Flour is Made?

I was reading about the different types of flour. The lady said flour from the south is different from flour made in the north. So how do you know if the flour is from the north or the south?

By Wanda from MI

There is no such thing as a Southern or Northern flour. We do have Self-Rising flour which has bleached wheat flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder. This is usually used for biscuits. We also use all-purpose flour too. Hope this helps.

If you find your answer let us know. Would you mind condensing what you read and posting it on the newsletter? I am interested in what they say. Thank you.

I cook and bake quite a bit with flour, and I read the post about North/South flour. I did not find it necessary. Everything I cook or bake goes so fast and at no one has ever asked where the flour came from. Also on all the cooking shows I watch (quite a bit) it has not been mentioned.

Unless this is something new and very new then I have not heard about from well, Martha Stewart, Paula Deen, Rachel Ray or anyone on the HGTV shows or the PBS CIA Cullinary Institute of America where they calibrate the ovens daily.

Good luck. I know that altitude could cause changes and humidity. The person may have a valid point however it is no something I am researching.

Let me clear this up, if I can. Someone wrote in and asked "What is Cake Flour" I read the feed back & off to the side there were some other articles & I clicked on one, it was from King Arthur Flour & it went on to talk about different types of flour & this is where I found the talk about it makes a difference where the flour is made, in the north or the south. Maybe you can find this article if you look. It is news to me too, but that is what it said, honest!

Flour

Self-rising flour is typically made with all-purpose flour. This type of flour contains anywhere from 8 to 13 grams of protein per cup, depending on the region of the country where the flour is produced. Flour made in the South typically has less protein than that made in the North. Because self-rising flour is best for quick breads, cakes, pancakes and biscuits, a self-rising flour with a low protein content is best for these types of recipes. The lightness of the low-protein dough allows the chemical leavening agents to quickly produce an even rise and a soft texture.

Based on grams.

Food and Recipes Food Tips AdviceOctober 27, 2009
All Purpose Flour
What is All Purpose Flour?
Cake Flour
Using Cake Flour
Bread Machine
Recipes Using All Purpose Flour in Bread Machine
Sifting Flower
Sifting Flour Without a Sifter
🎄
🍂