Making Cakes to Sell During the Holidays

I am thinking of making homemade cakes for sale during the holidays. Does anyone who does this have ideas for pricing? I plan to make pound cakes, carrot cakes, red velvet, chocolate, and caramel. Maybe others. Does anyone have any suggestions or other good tips? Thanks!

Nana from GA

I think a lot of people would like to buy homemade desserts rather than purchasing from a store. As for pricing why don't you check what local bakeries are charging for similar products and price yours accordingly. Good luck with your new venture.

Well you should add up your cost of materials, energy and a profit. The cost to make cakes may be more than you will charge for them. One question, who are you going to sell them to? Do you have a ready market?

PLEASE BE CAREFUL ABOUT PRODUCING FOOD PRODUCTS OUT OF YOUR KITCHEN. THE HEALTH DEPT CONSIDERS YOU TO BE A FOOD MANUFACTURER IF YOU DO THIS AND YOU MUST BE LICENSED FOR THAT. I CAN SQUASH PICKLES EACH SUMMER AND WOULD LOVE TO SELL THEM BUT CANNOT UNLESS I PRODUCE THEM IN A COMERICAL KITCHEN.

I would just like to point out that thousands of baked good are sold at Bake Sales each year that are not produced in commercial kitchens. My grandmother supported her family baking from home as did many others. If this sort of thing bothers you, then you do have a choice not to buy them.

There is a bakery near us that sells some of the type of cakes you are interested in selling. Maybe this will give you some ideas of pricing:

mikesfarm.com

I did not mean to offend anyone by pointing out that you need a commercial kitchen to prepare food for resale. It certainly does not bother me, as I enjoy buying from bake sales. I have just recently tried to get a license to make and sell my squash pickles and have been disappointed, because I find that I cannot do it from home.

One thing I have found when making things to sell is to stick with only 1-2 sure things and make that your specialty. It makes the item your selling a one of a kind and not one of many. I started by making yeast rolls and have since added only cinnamon yeast rolls...that is it. I have made extra money and kept busy by word of mouth. Good luck to you!

Business and Legal BusinessNovember 24, 2008
canning at home
Starting a Homemade Food Business
A beach towel wedding cake.
Making a Towel Wedding Cake
Fondant cake.
Decorating Cakes With Fondant
Thomas the Tank Cake
Making Character Cakes
🎉
🎄