Homemade Potting Soil for Indoor Plants

Does anyone have a recipe for making their own potting soil mixture for indoor plants? Years ago I attended a gardening seminar put on by Penn State and received a great recipe for making your own. Through the years, I unfortunately lost the recipe. I recontacted Penn State and have spoken to their "Master Gardeners", but they don't know of a formula to follow. Does anyone have a great recipe to follow? I'll look forward to hearing from all of you, hopefully. Thanks in advance.

By Chris from Tunkhannock, PA

I take garden dirt and bake it at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes to kill critters and bacteria. Then mix in 1/3 portion of peat moss.

I belong to a cactus group in NM. I have a copyrighted article written by one of the members, which I could send you. It's a soil-less mix, and I like it; my houseplants are mostly succulents, but it should work with regular plants, because it promotes drainage:

1 gallon sphagnum peat moss

1 gallon vermiculite

1 level tablespoon calcium sulfate (gypsum)

1 to 5 level tablespoon(s) triple-superphosphate fertilizer (0-45-0)

For cacti and other plants requiring well-drained soil, 1 gallon Perlite

Thoroughly mix these ingredients in a plastic container (a five-gallon bucket is convenient). Add enough water after mixing such that the soil can be handled to your satisfaction.

The recipe for Cornell Mix (what this gentleman's recipe is based on) can be found at:

There's another potting mix recipe at:

Home and Garden Gardening House PlantsMay 4, 2010
Potted plant that is too big for its pot.
Transferring Plants to Larger Pots
Reusing Potting Soil
Reusing Potting Soil
Making a Potting Bench
Making a Potting Bench
Air Ionizer and Purifier for Allergies
Improving Indoor Air Quality