My Clothes Dryer Door Won't Stay Shut

I have a gas front loading clothes dryer, and the door or latch is not keeping the dryer closed. it will go fine awhile, then I suspect clothes bump into it and pop it open.

I was so proud of myself, I used those stick on oven latches that you use for child safety, and that worked for awhile. I sometimes can tape the door shut, so this is just barely popping open, stays in place, just opens a crack and stops the dryer. But I can't tell you how disruptive this is, I'm in school full time, two children, so money is tight. I can't replace the dryer. I'm very good at doing things myself.

Anyone have any suggestions?

MAnne from CA

My clothes dryer door use to do the same thing. I installed a metal latch onto the door and main part of the dryer to keep it closed. This has worked well for me. Good luck!

It sounds like your magnet is worn out. Use a couple of large, flat magnets to keep the door closed. It really works, and sure beats buying a new one!

I had one that did that. For a long time (until I finally bought a new dryer) I used 1/2 of a wooden clothes pin (work one side out of the metal that holds the two sides together.) Then I shoved the narrow end of the wooden piece in between the door and the dryer the door as a shim. This worked to hold it closed. Doesn't look good but it works.

Susan from ThriftyFun

In response to the message sent by MAnne:

I usually shut the door on the point of the clothes pin half (the beveled end). Maybe I can make a picture to make it more understandable. You basically fit it between the door and the frame. Mine door would not stay closed at all. If the clothespin is too wide to fit in the space between the door and dryer you could try some cardboard.

I posted a picture on the post below.

get some bungee cords from the auto parts store it --it may take two to get all the way around the dryer--my brother had to do this to secure the trash can against the wall--his cat and dog would knock the trash over to get into the garbage.

What about velcro?

I had one that did that , and used it til it wore out for years. My husband got a heavy long magnet at the hardware store///also handy, because when not in use you still use to keep closed, and never got lost or broken. works perfect

My mother had the same problem. She used a pool stick cut to size and rested it on the floor with the upper part pushed into the door. Clever!

The Magnet idea sounds better than our idea. We found a board that we wedge under the handle and the floor and it holds it shut. Took a few trys to find one the right size.

this also happened to me one time and after further inspection, I had noticed a coin had gotten down in where the door hooks to the machine. You have to really get down and look though because it wasn't visible from a standing point. Coin removed and everything as good as new!

I noticed that my door moved a bit when lifted. Upon closer examination I discovered the screw had worked out. All I did was tighten it, which lasts about two months. So I will simply get a bit larger screw.

Hope this is a solution to your problem?

God bless you. : )

A new latch kit costs only costs about $3. It seems scary to put it in yourself, but isn't hard at all. If you're nervous about it, have a handy friend along to do it with you.

I use the bungee cord idea on my front-loading washing machine. The strange part is that the machine works so much better now! No jumping around or funny sounds, and the spin goes great. Maybe I should set up as a repair-lady?

Would magnetic tape work? There's some where I work - sticky on one side, and a magnet on the other. I'm wondering if sticking some where the door meets the machine would be effective.

I purchased a small magnet for $1 for 8 magnets and stuck it on the inside of the door. Works like a charm and dryer door is remaining shut. Sorry, the picture needs to be rotated. Our dryer is a front loader and the magnet is in the right side of the door.

Home and Garden Repair Appliances Clothing DryersMay 23, 2007
Photo of an angel craft made form used dryer sheets.
Making Dryer Sheet Angels
slamming door
Preventing a Door From Slamming
small dog
Dog Diapers Won't Stay On
Opening Frozen Car Door
Opening a Door That is Frozen Shut
🎉
🎄