Can I Can Greens in a Water Bath?

Is there a way to can mustard, turnip, and collard greens in a water bath?

By Dana from Stevenson, AL

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

It is not safe to can greens in a waterbath as the temperature needs to be higher than the boiling temp. Of water. I guess some people have tried it, but i have been canning for 60 years, and know that botulism is a deadly thing, that you don't see, smell, taste, or know is there. We don't want it in our home canned foods. After thousands of jars of canned foods, including the low acid foods which include greens, none of my family of 7 kids was ever sick. Hope this helps.

Again, from ljf, I meant to include that I always used a pressure canner for greens, green beans and any low acid foods. It costs money to purchase a canner, but if it is well cared for, one will last for many years. Sometimes a gasket, or something needs replacing, but the canner is well worth it. Hope that is some help. Loretta from Theodore, Alabama

Answer

Collard Greens
Canning Collard Greens
Food and Recipes Canning VegetablesOctober 25, 2010
Lilac Bubble Bath
Lilac Bubble Bath
Organizing Bath Toys
Organizing Bath Toys
Toddler with bubbles on hair and end of nose.
Homemade Bubble Bath Recipes
Homemade Bath Salts
Homemade Bath Salts Recipes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 25, 2016 at 10:51:48 PM on 10.0.0.89 in 563 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.