Can I Can Greens in a Water Bath?

By dana 1

Is there a way to can mustard, turnip, and collard greens in a water bath?

By Dana from Stevenson, AL

Showing: Answers Sort

By Loretta 18 125 Flag

It is not safe to can greens in a waterbath as the temperature needs to be higher than the boiling temp. Of water. I guess some people have tried it, but i have been canning for 60 years, and know that botulism is a deadly thing, that you don't see, smell, taste, or know is there. We don't want it in our home canned foods. After thousands of jars of canned foods, including the low acid foods which include greens, none of my family of 7 kids was ever sick. Hope this helps.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Loretta 18 125 Flag

Again, from ljf, I meant to include that I always used a pressure canner for greens, green beans and any low acid foods. It costs money to purchase a canner, but if it is well cared for, one will last for many years. Sometimes a gasket, or something needs replacing, but the canner is well worth it. Hope that is some help. Loretta from Theodore, Alabama

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Collard Greens
Canning Collard Greens
Food and Recipes Canning VegetablesOctober 25, 2010
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Collard Greens
Canning Collard Greens
Collard Greens
Recipes Using Canned Collard Greens
Collard Greens
Slow Cooker Collard Greens Recipes
Toddler with bubbles on hair and end of nose.
Homemade Bubble Bath Recipes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 1:59:48 PM on 10.0.1.225 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings