Garden: Walking Stick

I started out of the front door the other day only to stop dead in my tracks seeing this walking stick sunning on the glass. I rerouted my steps to grab the camera and finished my coffee inside!

By melody_yesterday from Otterville, MO

Great photo, but I think this is a praying mantis instead of a walking stick insect.

Just a praying mantis (not stick insect) they are very good to have in your garden as they eat many types of bad bugs, some gardeners order [from supplies] a few of their cocoons ,containing hundreds, to spread around their garden, A lot better than pesticides. If you see a closed papery cocoon in your garden, its a good thing.

Oh of course it is - your right! LOL Thanks!

I used to keep these on the curtains in our house as a child. They eat almost anything, and they don't bite. The hammerhead eyes tells you it is a praying mantis. I love them they are so sweet and don't bite.

As a child, I was told the "walking stick" was poisonous, but not the preying mantis.

Photos GardenOctober 29, 2009
macaroons on a stick
Making Cookies on a Stick
Frying Fish Sticks
Homemade Fish Stick Recipes
A mom and two kids crossing the street.
Safety Tips for Pedestrians
Stick of Butter
How Many Tablespoons in a Stick of Butter?
🎄
🍂