Activities for Celebrating the International Day of the Disabled Patient

I am from Prince Sultan Humanitarian City of KSA. I need your kind help regarding the International Day of the Disabled Patient. We are going to celebrate on December 3 2010. Do you have some new activities or ideas which can help us on this day? Does anyone know of some movies or presentations that you can recommend.

Best Regards.
Nesreen

Movies about mental disabilities are : The Other Sister, Forest Gump and Radio. Activities to help others understand disabilities could be having persons wear bulky oven mitts and having them do everyday activities such as measure out ingredients for a recipe, or making a bed. For the blind it could be wearing dark sunglasses in a darkened room and having them walk around finding objects like a tv remote, a sofa and a cover. For the physically handicapped you could have them do certain tasks in wheel chairs or with walkers. Good luck, it sounds like a great way to introduce ways of helping the disabled and understanding their needs.

If you want to help others learn about the disabled, you might consider demonstrations in Braille and sign language, as well as tools which are used by people with mobility problems. Perhaps representatives from local organizations that serve people with various disabilities could participate. You could use a sort of "fair" format for this idea.

If you want ideas of things to do with patients with disabilities, here are a few ideas: a simple "Simon Says" game (I don't know what you call it in your area, the leader gives the players simple things to do like raise a hand, but they should only do it if the leader first says the code word or phrase like "Simon says.") My favorite movie, "Daredevil," might or might not go over well in your culture. Other good movies are "I Am Sam" and "The Other Side of the Mountain."

I hope I have helped.

2 movies: "My left Foot" and "Lorenzo's Oil".

Better Living CommunityNovember 1, 2010
Elderly Woman Walking with Daughter
Activities for the Elderly and Disabled
Heart Patient with Doctor
Open Heart Surgery Recovery Advice for Patient's Family
Disabled veteran in a wheelchair in front of an American flag.
Housing Assistance for Disabled Veterans
May Day Flowers
Celebrating May Day
🎄
🍂