Classic Potato Salad

• 3/4 cup Miracle Whip
  • 1 tsp. mustard
  • 1/2 tsp. celery seed
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/8 tsp. pepper
  • 4 cups cubed, cooked potatoes
  • Ad
  • 2 hard cooked eggs, chopped
  • 1/2 cup onion
  • 1/2 cup sliced celery
  • 1/2 cup sweet pickle

Mix Miracle Whip, mustard, celery seed, salt and pepper. Add remaining ingredients; mix lightly. Refrigerate.

By Robin from Washington, IA

June 2, 2011 Flag
This is an old family recipe and might take a little longer to prepare than some of the quicker ones today, but you sure will enjoy the difference. It's easy enough, so just have fun making and sharing it with those you love most.

• 8-10 eggs (hardboiled, peeled, and chopped)
  • 5 lbs. new red potatoes
  • 1 Tbsp. salt for boiling potatoes
  • Ad
  • 1/2 cup sweet pickle juice
  • 1/2 cup yellow Ballpark mustard
  • 1/2 cup Hellmann's mayonnaise
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 tsp. celery seed, or to taste
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. black pepper
  • 1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
  • 1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
  • 1/2 cup sweet pickle cubes
  • 1/2 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped

You can boil and peel the eggs the day before if you like, but I boil mine at the same time the potatoes are boiling so that the eggs are still slightly warm when I add the dressing. Just as the potatoes do, the eggs absorb so much more flavor when they are warm.

Wash potatoes very well and trim them if necessary. I scrape all the skin off mine with a teaspoon, but you can leave the skin on if you want to, providing the potatoes are really small and the skin isn't going to be tough. I would still trim out the eyes and any spots on the potatoes.

Add potatoes to a large pot and cover with cold water. Add 1 Tbsp. salt, cover them, and bring them to a brisk boil. You need to watch them as they will boil over if you don't.

When they start to boil, lower the temperature, replace the lid on the pot, and simmer until potatoes are tender. Remove from burner and drain the potatoes, saving the cooking water to make yeast breads or to cook another vegetable like green beans or broccoli, peas, or carrots.

Put potatoes back into the cooking pot and let them sit on the stove top while you peel the boiled eggs if you haven't already done them.

Chop the eggs up until the white pieces are very small. Chop the potatoes into small bite-sized pieces and add potatoes and chopped eggs to a large mixing bowl.

In a smaller bowl, mix sweet pickle juice, mayonnaise, sour cream, yellow mustard, salt, pepper, and celery seeds together and pour over the potatoes and eggs while they are still warm. I repeat, the eggs and potatoes will absorb the flavors so much better when they're still a bit warm.

Stir to mix the dressing in very well, Cover and let them sit while you chop and measure out everything else. Mix it all in a bowl large enough to hold everything before adding the mixture to the potatoes and eggs.

Gently stir everything together, then cover and refrigerate until time to serve. If you have the means to do so at the serving site, keep it as cold as possible, because your salad has eggs and mayonnaise in it, and either can go bad almost before you know it.

Cover and refrigerate all leftovers. It's even better the next day, and because it is, I will often make it the day before anyway. It's nice and cold then and full of the best flavor.

Source: This is the same recipe that my favorite aunt always made for our family get-togethers. I never eat potato salad anywhere that I don't think of her, and how sweet and loving she was to everyone.

By Julia from Boca Raton, FL

I don't remember what all my mum put in her potato salad, but this sounds close enough to suit me. I don't remember ever eating a potato salad that I didn't like. I think every good cook has their own version.

I like yours because you took the time to give good instructions, and I thank you for sharing your recipe.

I have 2 children who are allergic to eggs, so do you think I could maybe substitute something like mozzarella cheese cut small instead of the eggs? This recipe sounds so good, so wholesome that I would like to try the cheese.

Thank you for help.

Thank you to everyone who left such nice feedback. I wish you good luck with your salad.

Suziq9, since the texture of mozzarella is very similar to boiled egg whites, I don't think it'd hurt to try the cheese in the salad. It's also bland enough that I don't think you'll taste all that much difference. All you can do is try. That's kinda what Home Cooking is all about.

Tweaking, substituting one ingredient for another and changing it to suit your own family's needs and tastes. That's the difference in Home Cooking and Commercial type cooking, and that's what makes it so good, and why we call it "comfort food".

Let us know how the mozzarella cheese turns out. I for one would really like to know. It might be something that we could use when we plan using Potato salad on a picnic for instance where eggs can sometimes pose a problem. Excellent question.

Good luck to you too.

Just wanted to let you know I used your potato salad recipe & my mom's recipe that I can remember, to create my own. I used the Idaho potatoes we always used & the dill pickle juice.I added the sour cream, since we always only used mayo. I had to just about double the ingredients for the dressing, maybe because of the different potato,it was way too dry. The sour cream is a huge improvement, we really loved it!

Wonderful! My whole family loved it !Except my 13 year old, who hates anything with boiled egg, next time I'll hold some egg-free back for him, LOL! My youngest 2 (16 & 13) have never had my homemade potato salad, but they'll sure be getting it a lot more now! I remembered as I was making this, why I quit making it. It's so hard on my hands, with carpal tunnel, tendinitis & arthritis. By the end of the day, my wrist ached & was swollen. But I think I have enough volunteers who can stir for me now & save my hands!

Potato Salad Recipes
Potato Salad Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Salads PotatoAugust 2, 2006
Potato Salad Dressing
Potato Salad Dressing Recipes
Red Potato Salad in a white dish
Red Potato Salad Recipes
Bowl of potato salad using yellow potatoes and a dressing over the top
Danish Potato Salad Recipe
Hot Potato Salad
Hot Potato Salad Recipes