Labeling Food

When labeling your food items in your fridge or freezer, you can use several different things to label. Here are some that I have used:

• I've used transparent "magic" tape (kind you can write on), either with an ink pen or a permanent marker.

• I've used the little freezer labels you can sometimes find at your supermarket, but these are expensive, so to maximize my savings, I don't use a full piece, I'll cut one in half or into thirds to make them last longer. As long as I have the space to write the name of the dish and the date of preparation, that's all that counts.

• I've also used filing stickers that I've found in the office supplies department.

• My Mom used to use first aid tape, as she said it would last longer (back in those days it did.)

All these suggestions are also good if you're taking a dish of food to a potluck, someone might have a question about the dish, or it's ingredients. For one of these events, just put your name on the sticker as well as the other info.

By Terri from NV

I use the name and address labels that come in the mail from organizations looking for my donations. Since I did not order these labels, I do not feel compelled to pay for them~! (I give lots to charity, and don't expect a "gift" in return)

I just stick the label on the food container and there is always enough room to write what I"ve put in the bag or plastic container.

I use dissolvable labels so you aren't left with the sticky residue on your containers when you remove the label.

I also use a grease pencil and write directly on the bags or containers. Will allow you to write on wet surfaces even. Washes off.

Refrigerator With Leftovers in Tupperware
Keeping Track of Leftovers
Food and Recipes StorageDecember 3, 2005
Labeling Children's Belongings
Labeling Children's Belongings
Woman Holding Her Mouth With Chili Pepper
Stopping the Burn from Spicy Food
Labeling Your Breakers
Labeling Your Breakers