BuyingClothing

Finding Clothing That Fits

I am 5'0" and weigh 150 pounds. Where can I buy clothes that are petite and short in length, but not petite in width? I have searched all over the web and I cannot find anything. Where can you buy petite clothes for a size 12/14?

I have problems with bathing suits, because my torso is so short, but the rest of my body is a size 12/14.

Same with my shoe size. I wear a size 5, but need a wide width. You can NEVER find that size in a store!

Any Advice?

Thank You So Much!
Ronda S from Clarksburg, WV

Kohl's has some petites that will fit you. I have the same problem.

The other suggestion? Learn to hem? Usually I get skirts/pants/shirts for larger women and just chop five inches off the bottom and sleeves. Hemming is really easy, especially if you do it by hand.

Try Lane Bryant or Roamans, they both have reasonably priced clothes. I am a lot taller than you but I really like their clothes.

Lands end has great bathing suits that cover your rear. I am a petite but petite all over so not sure if they would work for you. But Lands end lets you return bathing suits if they don't fit! Plus they also hem pants fro FREE! and some have elasticized waist too

Cold Water Creek, Chicos have elasticized waists and tunic tops

My mom is from Anmoore WVa. We visited Clarksburg last October for the Univ of Louisville vs WVU game (we lost!) My dad is from Clendennan

Blair sells "Petites" in the W sizes and they fit pretty

well. also try the 2 piece "tankini" type swimsuits, they cover a multitude of sins (as it were) and are quite stylish. I'm no help with the shoes as that part of me chose not to expand with the rest! Good Luck!

I wear separates, because the fit is better - so a jacket & matching skirt, etc. And I take up the sleeves and the hems (skirts & pants) of my clothing myself. Sizing is far from uniform, too - I have things that are smaller & things that are larger. For ex. - I have 3 bathing suits - one is a 10, one a 12, and one 16 & they all fit about the same! You get get things with a relaxed fit - like drawstring pants or elasticized waists - or roll up the sleeves of casual jackets/shirts, too - I get a lot of things at thrift shops - so if I make a mistake, it's no tragedy. Just got a lovely swimsuit for $2...(usually get tanks - they fit me the best.)

As for the shoes - I would look on the internet for a specialty item like that.

There is a lot more available now in women's sizes - 12-16 - There is even a resale shop which I shop at that has plus-sized clothes & becaz I am at the smaller range of the sizes, I find nice things there on SALE, too. You have to develop an individual sense of style, of chic & then go from there - Size doesn't really matter then...

You might try Avenue.com for clothes and also shoes. They carry wide and extra-wide for shoes.

try E-Bay! I had good luck there on jeans.

My mom is about your size and she likes a place called Bon Worth.

http://www.bonworth.com/

Thank you for all the great ideas!

I will try them all!

Ronda

Talbots actually carries quite a selection of larger petite's clothing - http://www1.tal  BE72634E61B23118

Unfortunately, Casual Corner Group is gone - so a whole petite only brand is history. But try Fashion to Figure - if you're not completely petite proportioned in either top or bottom, they do carry a nice selection over several brands. http://www.fash  .com/welcome.htm

Hope that helps. I actually have the opposite problem (4'10" and thin), and there's nowhere I can go except the kiddie department or spend a lot on alterations.

Amy

store reviews and petite grumblings at:

http://somesmallsense.blogspot.com