Keeping Dogs Out of the Garden

How can I protect my plants from my 1 year old dog? I cannot plant in the ground because he digs them up. He has destroyed my tomato plants, which were doing so well! He pulls plants out of pots if they are too low. I have come outdoors to find my plants all over the yard, big palms, ivy, anything.

I do not want to plant anymore if he will take them out, but I would love to start my veggie garden, in pots right now, before the heat really comes in. And because of the heat, my dog stays inside, so I want to take advantage of this to plant. Please help.

By Isabel from S. TX

Build a fence out of mesh wire around your flowers or make him a fenced run. There also is a metal device that screws into the ground at the pet stores and after you screw it into the ground hook his leash to it and put it far enough away he can't get to the flowers.

I would probably try to do the hanging tomato thing. And is there a place where the dog is not at that you could make your garden? In other words what about the front or the back yard? Is it fenced in? How big is the dog?

I would get a large dog run and make a greenhouse out of it, it is easier than doing a fence around it, and it would be fun!

My dog's leash cannot reach the garden. She does not dig, she will eat the green beans and peas all gone if she got near! Shorten up the leash.

I put cayenne pepper around my plants after planting. Seems to work, until it rains that is!! I also heard that dogs don't like mint. I am growing some peppermint so I took some leaves, broke them up and scattered them on an area that I had just seeded. I can't guarantee that that's what worked but our puppy didn't dig them up as she had before. I also heard that you can put branches from rose bushes on the ground to discourage animals from digging. It didn't help with our chickens though.